PDA

View Full Version : MX Revolution Mouse Buttons Not Working in Fedora 9

jdeslip
16th May 2008, 01:28 AM
In several previous versions of Fedora (6-8) I have gotten my revolution mouse buttons to work by adding the following lines to xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Revolution"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Phys" "usb-*/input0"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

And a (InputDevice "Revolution") to the server layout section. This does not work in Fedora 9. The side buttons don't cause any response when I run an xev test on them. I made sure I had the package xorg-x11-drv-evdev installed. I tried changing the "phys" line above to all sorts of other things based on the output of "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" - but nothing works: no action is ever reported by xev when I press those buttons. Can anyone help me? I am guessing that something has changed in evdev or X itself to break this, but I have no idea what.

For completeness, here is the relevant output of cat /proc/bus/input/devices:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c51a Version=0111
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.0-3/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.0/input/input3
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse1 event3
B: EV=17
B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=143
B: MSC=10

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c51a Version=0111
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.0-3/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.1/input/input4
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event4
B: EV=1f
B: KEY=37fff 2c3027 bf004444 0 0 1 f84 8a27c000 667bfa d9415fed 8e0000 0 0 0
B: REL=40
B: ABS=1 0
B: MSC=10

mooninite
29th May 2008, 02:53 PM
I am also unable to get the left scroll wheel to be recognized by xev. It seems the evdev driver has had some feature changes... for the worse.

xmodmap doesn't seem to do anything anymore (remapping buttons).

Did you have any luck fixing this? At least the back and forward buttons work now instead of using the mouse wheel tilt, but the mouse wheel tilt won't go left and right (just up and down).

jdeslip
29th May 2008, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately I still haven't had any luck...

mooninite
4th June 2008, 02:26 AM
OK, I have most of my buttons working.

Used default xorg.conf.

I had to use Windows to program the mouse to change the middle mouse button to act as the middle mouse (instead of the fast scroll when you click).

As long as you don't turn off the mouse it will remember these settings when you are in Linux.

The back and forward buttons work right, and middle mouse works now. However, the side scroll wheel is still not recognized.

Thomas Howard
7th June 2008, 12:06 PM
Same problem here too, a bit of a nuisance as I had my middle mouse click mapped to the side button, and I happen to use middle click a lot.

Not turning it off isn't really an option for me, I use it at work and charge it at home. Information on how to get information to send in a useful bug report would be appreciated, as I have little idea how to describe the problem other than in terms of "it just doesn't work".

Tekno_Cowboy
10th June 2008, 02:13 AM
A good tool would be BTNX, if it could be got to work with Fedora.

Edit: Found some promising-looking rpm's HERE (http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.fedora-fr.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fid%3D28463&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=fr&tl=en)

krisztoforo
10th June 2008, 08:52 PM
In several previous versions of Fedora (6-8) I have gotten my revolution mouse buttons to work by adding the following lines to xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Revolution"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Phys" "usb-*/input0"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

I got it working! This is what I had to change compared to Fedora 8:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

- Needed an extra line in the "InputDevice" section:
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"

You can find what event? you need by doing " cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and finding the "Handlers" line for your mouse...

- ~/.Xmodmap:
All of a sudden it thinks it's a 32 button mouse, so I had to add an extra 12 numbers there, also the button order changed for some reason, so you might want to run 'xev' again and verify your buttons.

Hope this helps,
Krisztian

jdeslip
12th June 2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks man. Sounds promising. I am away from desktop for a couple weeks, but I will try as soon as I get back.

hackerbob
12th June 2008, 09:06 AM
It's a bug in evdev. Any mouse that has more button codes than there are constants in linux/input.h will be be ignored when pressed.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=446660

There's a patch there that will fix it for you.

A.Serbinski
30th July 2008, 04:42 AM
Seems that an update has dealt with that bug. All buttons working now:
side rocker forward: 13
side rocker back: 15
side rocker in: 17
side button forward: 9
side button back: 8
left: 1
right: 3
wheel forward: 4
wheel back: 5
wheel left: 6
wheel right: 7
wheel down/middle: 2
that extra button behind the wheel: keycode 229 (why couldn't they have made it a regular mouse button??? Stupid. Its much easier to go from mouse to keyboard than keyboard to mouse.)

Note about the middle/scrollwheel button.... you do NOT have to use evil to change the mode on this. There's a nice little program called "revoco" that can do this. Get it here: http://goron.de/~froese/revoco/ . You can drop a line something like "revoco free" into your /etc/rc.d/rc.local script or "sudo revoco free" into your ~/.bash_profile script (as long as you setup sudo to allow you to run revoco as root without a password).

Tutankh
10th November 2008, 02:18 AM
Sorry to rehash this. But I just picked up my MX revolution and have tried pasting required text into xorg to no avail. Also I have visited the bugzilla page and looked at the patch, but could not find any instructions on how to actually use it or what file to paste into/where/etc. Could someone give me a step by step of everything that needs to be done given that all most recent versions of evdev and xorg are installed? Thanks very much