PDA

View Full Version : Can not reactivate KDE Task Panel (Fedora 9)

EventHorizon
15th May 2008, 09:01 PM
I just upgraded my Fedora 7 system to Fedora 9. All went smooth. KDE 4 is really quite lovely...

I was installing widgets, when I selected a certain one (can't remember). After it installed my screen went blue and I lost all icons and the task panel.

I did a hard reboot, things came up fine, but I lost the task panel. I can't seem to get it back.

How is this done? In Fedora 7, when I selected Desktop Configuration, one aspect of it allowed me to select the task panel, its location, size, etc. I don't see that capability anymore.

Thanks in advance.

pdq
18th May 2008, 05:52 PM
Similar issue here. Where is the panel configured?

I accidentally deleted the task manager from the panel, and I don't see any way to add it back. Where is the settings file so I can edit it directly?

XulChris
18th May 2008, 07:16 PM
I just upgraded my Fedora 7 system to Fedora 9. All went smooth. KDE 4 is really quite lovely...

I was installing widgets, when I selected a certain one (can't remember). After it installed my screen went blue and I lost all icons and the task panel.

I did a hard reboot, things came up fine, but I lost the task panel. I can't seem to get it back.

How is this done? In Fedora 7, when I selected Desktop Configuration, one aspect of it allowed me to select the task panel, its location, size, etc. I don't see that capability anymore.

Thanks in advance.

If you are doing an upgrade you must be sure to use a clean ~/.kde/ directory. Log out of KDE and into GDM (or hopefully KDM) and then press ctrl-alt-f1 and log into a virtual terminal (you can get back to the GUI at any time with ctrl-alt-f7). From the virtual terminal mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.bak ; mv ~/.kderc ~/.kderc.bak ; mv ~/.config ~/.config.bak ; Then log back into kde and you should have a fresh clean system to work with.

XulChris
18th May 2008, 07:19 PM
Similar issue here. Where is the panel configured?

I accidentally deleted the task manager from the panel, and I don't see any way to add it back. Where is the settings file so I can edit it directly?

Just right click on the panel and select Add Widget...

pdq
19th May 2008, 01:30 AM
> Just right click on the panel and select Add Widget...

Maybe I'm just being dense, but when I right-click the panel and add the task manager widget, it gets added to the *desktop* and not to the *panel*. Now when I open new apps, the desktop widget shows their icons, but not the panel. And I can't drag & drop the widget from the desktop to the panel. What am I missing here?

pdq
19th May 2008, 02:14 AM
I just solved the issue by deleting my ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* files and starting over.