PDA

View Full Version : Where are the 3D Transitions in OOImpress

jdeslip
15th May 2008, 07:44 PM
OpenOffice 2.4 is supposed to have 3D slide transitions for impress. However, they don't seem to be included in the Fedora 9 package. In Ubuntu 8.04, you have to install a separate package called ooimpress-glxtransitions (I forget the exact name), but othing like this seems to be available for Fedora 9. So, where are the sexy 3D transitions?? Me wants!

bob
16th May 2008, 01:34 AM
Since Nvidia 3D is not provided in Fedora 9, even if are provided, would you be able to use them?

jdeslip
16th May 2008, 02:28 AM
Yes... I have/manage some computers that use intel cards and I know they perform quite nicely.

jdeslip
25th November 2008, 11:21 PM
These are still not available in F10 as far as I can tell. What is the deal??

jdeslip
2nd December 2008, 12:38 AM
Bump: come on - someone else must be as superficial as me and is missing the opengl transitions...

erroneus
3rd February 2009, 07:34 PM
Actually, I am also interested in the 3D transitions. Is this something I could get if I install from tarball? Why is this left out of Fedora? Is it because it won't work with a "stock" Fedora installation?

jdeslip
3rd February 2009, 07:40 PM
There is a bug report at fedora bugzilla. They have packaged for Fedora 11/rawhide, but not backported to Fedora 10. I am just going to wait until F11, I guess...

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=466680

erroneus
3rd February 2009, 08:00 PM
I see it in rawhide as well. When I went to update that, it wanted to pull in a bajillion dependencies. I swear, the dependencies in Fedora are absolutely out of control. I once attempted to make a list of dependencies that I found that were completely senseless and posted some of what I found here. No one responded or seemed to notice. For example, if I don't want to have Evolution installed, I cannot remove it because it wants to rip all of GNOME and other parts of X.org with it! I can understand the dependencies going one way where Evolution requires all of those things, but all of those things do NOT require Evolution. It's as if someone was sloppy about assigning dependencies and hasn't cared to correct it since Fedora 7. The same seems to be the case with OpenOffice.org. While uninstalling OpenOffice.org cleanly is possible, I cannot upgrade to the one in rawhide without bringing in a bajillion other things and ultimately not have conflicts resolved.

It would be nice if dependencies were more closely examined in Fedora so that people can trim their installations with more confidence. This is becoming more significant with the push and interest in "NetBook" computers. Microsoft is not agile enough to live in netbooks as they are committed to dropping Windows XP and Vista/Windows7 cannot possible run within the confines of the current generations of NetBooks. Other Linux distros can be tweaked to run nicely within a NetBook but my beloved Fedora seems to be unable to effectively scale down smaller due to these senseless dependencies.