PDA

View Full Version : How do I restore apps to the K-Menu ?

OralDeckard
15th May 2008, 02:42 PM
Yesterday my K-Menu was fine. This morning I did an update for a half dozen app, including the kernel, which brought my F8 up to date.

Now my K-Menu no longer has a Utilities section. It has a System section, which is empty, and a System Tools section, with plenty in it. It has an Other section, which I don't recall seeing before, which contains thing from utilities, such as kwrite and maybe some new junk like mouse odometer.

Nowhere in the K-Menu is there a Home (konqueror). I had Home on my Main-Toolbar, and it is now missing.

I can get konqueror by opening a terminal, and it starts off looking to the internet, and has to be told to look instead to /home/myaccount.

I do appreciate that our dedicated developers are hard at work improving everything day and night, but gee, is there any way I can get my Home back ?

In F9 preview I had to go to Gnome to find Konqueror :O
Surly they aren't trying to make F8 into a mini F9 :()

What can I do here ?

Hlingler
15th May 2008, 03:44 PM
I downloaded the F9-KDE-LiveCD, but haven't yet had a chance to even boot it up let alone install, but I guess whether I do or not depends on the answer to this question: isn't the usual KDE Menu Editor utility still there under KMenu=>Settings=>Menu Editor? If so, that's where you can restore all those menu links (although manually replacing many would be a PITA).

V

OralDeckard
15th May 2008, 05:11 PM
Thank you Hlingler.

Well glory be!

Problem solved as mystery deepens.

I rebooted the system three times hoping that it was just confused and needing to clear its mind, with no luck. It came back up that way every time. So I went to lunch, then came back and rebooted one more time, and everything is back to the way it was except for Home being missing from the Main Panel. Putting that back was easy.

Yessiree, Home is back in the K-Menu, the Utility category is back, and the Other category is Gone, System Tools is gone, and System is no longer empty, but has all its old stuff in it. I can understand Utilities coming back a lot easier than Other and System Tools coming into existence and going away on their own.

Owe well, it works again. If this were Windows I would suspect that I was not alone.

Hlingler
15th May 2008, 05:25 PM
Wow. Parlez vous strange? I've noticed that it sometimes has taken a few seconds for new items to appear on the menus after install, but not that long (and after two re-boots)! FWIW, F8-XFCE4 is the same way: new items take even longer to appear in menus - I have always assumed that there must be a cache somewhere that is occassionally updated, but you'd think a re-boot would have taken care of that. Hm....

V