PDA

View Full Version : devede does not work

modyun
15th May 2008, 06:57 AM
I have installed Devede 3.7 from the livna repo. I can add files to the app, but no details appear for the files (bit rate, etc) and the OK button is greyed out, suggesting the app cannot recognise the files in some way. Devede 3.7 from the same repo works fine under Fedora 8. :)

Dangermouse
15th May 2008, 08:59 AM
Hi
yes i think it has nothing to do with devede its to do with the codecs i think :rolleyes: a real pain in the ***
Havent found a fix yet but im working on it,(dont hold ya breath :) ) f9 is taking its toll i had to jump through 20 hoops just to get it to install :) still thats the fun heh! :p

modyun
18th May 2008, 03:13 AM
For me its the ultimate irony since thats the whole reason I went for F9, because as of now its the only major distro that has it in the repo (damn this stupid Linux bazaar).
Another irony is that the Windows version of Devede is properly separate from the operating system, installs in a quick and painless fashion, and just works. Its somewhat farcical when open sauce Linux software works better under Windows. Perhaps the Wine project should be building an emulator to allow Linux software to run on Windows instead (lol!!).
Another solution which I am using is to install version 3.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 from the stupid repos, then download and install version 3.7 from the web site. Seems to work. Also Ubunru seems to be more stable than F9 at the moment.
Probably best to wait for the second or third respin before going F9.

Wayne
18th May 2008, 03:23 AM
Just as an experiment, I'm creating an ISO of an AVI right now with DeVeDe... This is F9 i386..

Wayne

modyun
18th May 2008, 10:49 AM
Just as an experiment, I'm creating an ISO of an AVI right now with DeVeDe... This is F9 i386..

Wayne

Hav'nt tried the 32 bit version. Im a dedicated 64 bit person myself. My CPU gets angry is i run too much 32 bit software on it :rolleyes: .

But if it is a 64 issue, then it must be an easy fix i would hope.

In the meantime im afraid its Windows or Ubuntu :D .

Wayne
18th May 2008, 10:54 AM
My CPU is rather on the antique side, so I'm grateful that it can run anything :)

As to whether it's 64bit issue, I can't say. In the end I aborted the DVD as it was taking rather a long time with my antiquated hardware, but it was progressing and I did take a screenshot (which I subsequently deleted) in case I wasn't believed :)

Wayne

sideways
18th May 2008, 01:09 PM
DVD Flick (http://www.dvdflick.net/) is a pretty simple solution which runs under wine and supports more formats than devede (eg .flv flash videos)

Sometimes wine is useful, DVDShrink under wine used to be a required program until K9Copy matured.

modyun
19th May 2008, 06:11 AM
DVD Flick (http://www.dvdflick.net/) is a pretty simple solution which runs under wine and supports more formats than devede (eg .flv flash videos)

Sometimes wine is useful, DVDShrink under wine used to be a required program until K9Copy matured.

Never heard of DVD Flick, but will take a look at it. Makes we wonder how many other good free software is out there that you never get to know about unless you stumble upon it. Google is next to useless for finding those kinds of things.

Thanks.

jamesjpn
20th May 2008, 03:11 PM
Looking forward to see devede fixed in Fedora 9. I started a project today but now am stuck.

jamesjpn
24th May 2008, 12:06 PM
When I add a video file in devede, I get the following error message in Terminal:

Launching program:
program: ['mplayer', '-identify', '-ao', 'null', '-vo', 'null', '-frames', '0', '/home/jamesjp/Desktop/HappyEnglish2.MPG']

elemento: /usr/bin
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/devede/devede_newfiles.py", line 672, in on_moviefile_file_set
devede_dialogs.show_error(_("File doesn't seem to be a video file."))
TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)

There must be something is wrong with the mplayer for Fedora 9 that I downloaded with the Livna repository! I think its Livna's fault. What say ye?

techmum
26th May 2008, 05:44 AM
There must be something is wrong with the mplayer for Fedora 9 that I downloaded with the Livna repository! I think its Livna's fault. What say ye?

I think you might be correct that the DeVeDe problem is related to an mplayer problem.

On my x86_64 F9 system I cannot get mplayer to work at all. when I start DeVeDe I can add a video file, but not get any further.

jamesjpn
26th May 2008, 11:23 AM
On my x86_64 F9 system I un-installed Livna's Devede and Mplayer, downloaded the source code of Mplayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html, compiled and installed it. Then I downloaded Devede directly from the author's website at http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html and installed it. Happy day! Devede works again! Back to work on my project... :-)

modyun
27th May 2008, 08:19 AM
On my x86_64 F9 system I un-installed Livna's Devede and Mplayer, downloaded the source code of Mplayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html, compiled and installed it. Then I downloaded Devede directly from the author's website at http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html and installed it. Happy day! Devede works again! Back to work on my project... :-)

This is one of the reasons I hate the Linux bazaar model - e.g. bundling the apps with the operating system. Not only are all the distros wasting time repacking the same apps over and over, but they often stuff it up (as seems to be the case here). I want the software direct from the author, who knows what they are doing, not the version repackaged incorrectly by someone else.

Devede 3.7 works fine in Ubuntu, why does it not also here? The obvious failure of the bazaar model is clear to see.

I may love the Fedora distro for many reasons, but am now forced to abandon it simple because the one app I need does not work in this release. I have to throw away the operating system because a single app doesnt work. Now just how stupid is that?

Wayne
27th May 2008, 08:22 AM
If you have a complaint, then this is the wrong place for it, as the devs don't monitor these forums. Not only that, but programs like DeVeDe and MPlayer are not included with Fedora due to licensing issues. The problem here lies with Livna or wherever you got these programs. It's nothing to do with Fedora.

Edit: Seeing as Ubuntu has solved your problem. Thread closed.

Wayne