PDA

View Full Version : What apps do...

Felyza
15th May 2008, 06:28 AM
Alright, Linux quasinewbie here, so please bear with me. I've figured out there's literally THOUSANDS of things to do just about everything, but finding exactly what I want is turning out to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

1) I've tried the KDE and Gnome, I think I like Gnome better. Is there any way to bring the Gnome menu system setup to KDE, or the bar setup of KDE to Gnome? I'd really like a halfway point, but if it's not possible, will stick to Gnome.

2) I found a 'core Microsoft font pack'... but is it possible to import the .ttf files? I've been doing alot of work for my mother, and need to be able to give her something that works with the fonts on her computer, and she uses mostly the new fonts from Office 2K7. I have a legal copy of Vista and Office 2K7, if that makes any difference.

3) Upon chatting with friends, they are eager to hear my reports on my Linux plunge. I've already talked them up quite a bit on it... but they are staying away until the graphics drivers are working. Now, two of them REALLY want to have a Windows-like interface. Are there any good packs somewhere I'm missing to make it look outwardly like Windows? Also on this note, if I can make it resemble Windows close enough, I could probably get my mother to switch.

4) The downside I have with Gnome... menu editing. Isn't there a tool or something that makes editing the menu easier? Would be really nice to have a nice easy way to customize the menu.
Got it. Its not in menu by default. The command to run is: alacarte

5) Would really like to see Wine working... but can't figure out why when I restore a minimized window, it's display is gone. I have to close it entirely and reopen it.. really annoying. Anyone else experience this and have a solution?

6) I'm really missing the 'find in files' feature of Textpad.. even Windows has it. Can anyone point me at a good script that will search for a text string in files of a type I declare, within an entire subtree? My kludge is 'grep "string" *.type' then 'grep "string" */*.type' and so on... until I hit a file not found. Would really prefer to something with a 'history' type feature.

7) I found the addon for the Gnome toolbar that puts a command line there... is it possible to make it so that it always has root privs? Saves some typing, and I'm the only user, so I don't have to worry about others using it.

8) Any toys out there I'm missing that would greatly improve my experience? If its something really beneficial, would make selling Linux to friends alot easier.

All right, I think that covers it for now.

For now, working on the xserver source to try and make the ATI drivers work without downgrading. Was able to find a somewhat decent theme I like. Got my SSH key imported for digital signing. Figured out how to set up my firewall. REALLY like the system monitors to have CPU speed, CPU temp, and various load sensors on the bar. I still think I'm going to install Outlook. I haven't found a suitable replacement I'm happy with (good management tool for time, calander, tasks, email, etc... if anyone can point me at one)
Found the outlook replacement... hadn't installed Evolution. Suits me fine. =)

marko
12th October 2008, 06:38 PM
This seems like an old post but I'll throw this in anyway:

6) I'm really missing the 'find in files' feature of Textpad.. even Windows has it. Can anyone point me at a good script that will search for a text string in files of a type I declare, within an entire subtree? My kludge is 'grep "string" *.type' then 'grep "string" */*.type' and so on... until I hit a file not found. Would really prefer to something with a 'history' type feature.

find . -type f -exec grep -l "string" {} \;

which means for each file under this current directory search the file for "string" if the string exists in a file display the filename and move on until the directory tree is used up.

You can make this more handy by setting up a shell alias in your shell's configuration file

(this is for tcsh/csh, bash will be different)
alias search 'find . -type f -exec grep -l "\!*" {} \;'

then you just do:

search string

UPDATE: of course the file managers like dolphin and konqueror all have good find tools (See "Find File..." under the Tools menu item)