PDA

View Full Version : package-kit: select then install

Drolyk
15th May 2008, 05:51 AM
Hi All!

I`ve just install fedora 9 on my laptop. I`m, in trouble with gnome-packagekit. How can I install multiple packages at one time, eg select packages and then install all of them ?

10nx

Perpetual
15th May 2008, 06:01 PM
Hi All!

I`ve just install fedora 9 on my laptop. I`m, in trouble with gnome-packagekit. How can I install multiple packages at one time, eg select packages and then install all of them ?

10nx

I do not believe you can select multiple packages with packagekit. I would assume this will come as packagekit develops. Best would be from the CLI...

yum install packagename packagename packagename
Via the CLI you can install as many packages as you want all at one time.

You could also
yum install yumex if you prefer a GUI front-end for Yum rather than the CLI.

Drolyk
16th May 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi!

It`s really sad that package kit can`t do such obvious things :( It would be great to see something like synaptic ot aptitude

Perpetual
16th May 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi!

It`s really sad that package kit can`t do such obvious things :( It would be great to see something like synaptic ot aptitude
Become Root

su -
Install Yumex

yum install yumex
For a graphical package manager.

Is there anything like apt for Fedora? (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#apt) I would not suggest using apt personally. Yum is a good package manager. If you need a GUI, see Yumex (http://www.yum-extender.org/wiki/Yumex).

bcwise
16th May 2008, 04:40 PM
The new software installer for Fedora 9 is really quite pathetic. Pirut was so much more functional. Why in the world did they get rid of Pirut and replace it with something that has far less functionality? Fedora is supposed to be taking steps forward not backwards. Having to use yum at teh command line is not an acceptable answer.

Carlo

Drolyk
16th May 2008, 08:04 PM
I know about pirut and yumex, but with all this buzz around packagekit I excpected more

b00st
18th May 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm giving packagekit the benefit of a doubt here. Though it has been annoying, I think it's miles better than anything fedora has had previously. Pirut was just awful, id rather forget it ever existed (slow and clunky). I do hope being able to select a group of packages (say, install kde de, not just list kde packages) and to queue packages to install will be added soon. Also, it needs some serious caching, every tab or category you choose, sends packagekit looking for things to load. Big waste of time there. Being able to right click and install from the list would be much more better also. Besides that, I am liking it better than pirut.