PDA

View Full Version : source code vs. binay installer???

Noobe_r6quick
14th May 2008, 09:15 PM
Hello All,

I had a few questions regarding compiling source code...

When I compile an application in Fedora (fc6), I use the ./configure script, make, and make install... and most of the time everything works out fine. But if I wanted to install a program under windows, and all I had was the source code how would I do that? can I just use any C compiler to build the exe?

...whatís the deal with binary installers? has the exe has already been complied? how does the software know what dependences have been resolved and what's needed?

Thanks for clearing some of this up, it is very appreciated.

best,

Jason

ptk
14th May 2008, 09:45 PM
Regarding compiling from source in Windows, if it uses the configure/makescript toolchain, you can install the GNU utils which run them through Cygwin.

Regarding binary apps, they are already compiled and you can't find out whether you have all the dependencies if they aren't using a package management system like most linux repos. Which is a problem.

Noobe_r6quick
14th May 2008, 10:41 PM
thanks for the reply ptk,

so if the system used to compile the binary, has packages that I don't... then Iím going to have problems... More specifically, I'm trying to compile a Linux app in windows, and everything Iíve read indicated that I need to use cygwin... but cygwin is only a emulator, how would I compile the source in windows??? can I just use any c complier, assuming the code was developed using C???

thanks again.

JohnVV
14th May 2008, 11:14 PM
hi when cross compiling Linux to windows i prefer to use MinGW if at all possible .MinGW will build a native windows .exe file . Cygwin emulates Linux ( sort of vm ) with the Cygwin.dll ,it will run most ( approx. 75% ) Linux built executables but it is very very slow .
setting up the MinGW/MSys environment can be a bit tricky and take some time ( there is a LOT of hand editing of files - most text based and .sh files need to have the paths 's edited