PDA

View Full Version : new fun: tweaking with twm in F9

aleph
14th May 2008, 12:26 PM
I just made a F9 fresh install and everything worked like a breeze... except that I chose XFCE (and neither GNOME nor KDE) during the installation process. However, the installer seemed to ignored my choice and installed NO desktop manager! During the first boot the gdm failed to bring up any DE and I have to login from a tty and did "startx" ... and was brought a twm desktop. I have to say the twm is superb in speed! Everything works so fast! But I'm completely new to twm and the only thing I can do now are moving, resizing, switching and closing windows, and invoking programs from xterm. I'm trying to install a DE via yum. What shall I do? yum group-install xfce? Can anyone give me a one-liner command? Thanks in advance!

ivancat
14th May 2008, 01:08 PM
use
yum grouplist
to see all the available groups and then

yum groupinstall group_name_here
to install

aleph
14th May 2008, 01:11 PM
thanks!

I just did a yum install yumex and using the yumex gui to browse the online repo... but it's a bit too slow.

stevea
14th May 2008, 01:56 PM
did "startx" ... and was brought a twm desktop. I have to say the twm is superb in speed! Everything works so fast! But I'm completely new to twm and the only thing I can do now are moving, resizing, switching and closing windows, and invoking programs from xterm.

Well you've now learned the entirely of twm .
You might want to install enlightenment for a nice looking but simiple/fast desktop.

aleph
14th May 2008, 02:23 PM
Well you've now learned the entirely of twm .
You might want to install enlightenment for a nice looking but simiple/fast desktop.

If this is the whole of twm I'll have to give it up though... I am a Chinese speaker and I must frequently switch between Chinese and English input methods with the scim... I haven't figured out how to do that in twm. Besides the version of twm shipped with Fedora seems to have a few bugs, e.g. after I move a window there are still bogus border lines on the screen for a while.

I'm now downloading XFCE, and noticed there's a great many of window managers available from the Fedora repo., and most of them claim to be "fast" or "lightweight". I'll try some later. Thanks for the advice.