PDA

View Full Version : gdm login and shutdown issues is f9

ajamison
14th May 2008, 06:37 AM
Ok so I installed F9 and it all runs decend however I did run into some very annoying bugs i would prominetly love to smack

1) periodicaly if you have used sudo or su lately in a terminal then shutting down or rebooting you maching simply takes you to a command prompt displaying the login text screen and after a few seconds it spits out an error saying that a connection with dbus is not possible and the machine locks up.

2) some times when using a user extensively in X (several processor intensive tasks) the X server will reboot isselft sending you back to the login screen. Upon loging in the desktop loads only partialy thus causing you to be in a semi frozen state. I say semi frozen because you can load anything with a desktop icon all menus however are frozen and you are then required to do a ctrl+alt+bcksp to reboot x only to be stuck in the same issue if you attempt to login again.

Is this common to anyone else? I have installed FRESH f9 4 times now all display the same bugs and this is not acceptable to me in a release version. Please let me know if you require additional info to diagnose this problem and i will post it

markkuk
14th May 2008, 07:16 AM
The place to post bug reports is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/, at least if you want to help with fixing the bug instead of just complaining.

ajamison
14th May 2008, 08:00 AM
I was not complaining this is a support forum correct? I was trying to see if anyone else had this issue and if so how they fixed it

Dangermouse
14th May 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi Andy,
hey at least you can install yours, dvd and live cd, would not install on my main machine, have had to resort to taking out my graphics card (gforce 8800 gt) to be able to install a real pain, im not going to mention codecs etc... :rolleyes:
Had to take the repo offline lastnight (back on now) it seems more than a dozen at one time stuffs my website, (gotta sort that)
markkuk i think Andy was asking a question and for help and not "just complaining"

Andy try using the old gdm its what i had to do in beta ect.... (method 2)

http://dnmouse.webs.com/autologin.html

ajamison
14th May 2008, 09:02 AM
U know i installed it the night before the release using a network install since the night before the release rawhide and the release are the same identical

ajamison
14th May 2008, 09:07 AM
Still I was hoping they would release a patch gdm as I am not a fan of retrofitting packages which i had to do a few times with the fglrx driver while Livna caught up with a broken ATI driver.

Still I can not use the Livna drivers yet ethier as they apparently do not install all the needed files and it harps about missing some .so files

Dangermouse
14th May 2008, 09:56 AM
Guess its a price we pay for being on the frontline :rolleyes: this time though i think im gonna just wait now a few weeks ( if i can resist :) )or till the major bugs are sorted and then make a dirty respin, (again) before i install any more machines with f9

ajamison
14th May 2008, 05:30 PM
I am going to wait a few weeks if they are still having issues with the graphics drivers i may very well rollbakl to F8 which would mean another fresh install but I want my DRI

back on topic noticed they have initscript updates that came down this morning going to see if those fix any of the gdm problems