PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many themes that try to copy Aqua?

jzke
7th July 2004, 04:59 PM
I think we all would agree Aqua for Mac OS X is a very very nice theme. But does this mean we should all strive to make theme after theme that is simply a variation of it? It really gets to me the way all the "most popular" and "most downloaded" themes for linux are oftenjust Aqua look-alikes. I think we should be looking at what makes a good theme and then creating original themes for linux.

What do you guys think?

PS: Does anyone know of a good tutorial on creating GTK themes?

ewdi
7th July 2004, 05:31 PM
i know what u mean, to be honest i like gnome gorilla theme :p or industrial, in kde i like plastik, we should try to encourage theme developer to be more cretative instead oif porting another os theme

jzke
7th July 2004, 07:15 PM
*bump*

Still no one on that tutorial for GTK themes?

carbo18
7th July 2004, 07:49 PM
Here's one one for GTK
http://www.ajgenius.us/gnome/gnome2-gtk2-themes.html

Hope it helps :)

crackers
8th July 2004, 04:05 PM
I'm not fond of the multitude of Aqua-likes - if you want a Mac interface, go buy a freakin' Mac!

And while we're on the subject, have I mentioned HOW MUCH I HAVE COME TO DESPISE THE USE OF BLUE IN THEMES!?!?!?!

ahem Sorry, a little touchy today... :o

Varkk
8th July 2004, 04:25 PM
you mean like bluecurve?

zulaica
9th July 2004, 06:39 AM
i'm also sick and tired of all the look-alike themes, so in my free time i've been mucking around with trying to learn to write metacity and gtk themes. it's a bit of a ways away, but hopefully i can come up with some creative and simple stuff.

ah yes, simple. i'm also tired of alpha blended, pixmap clutter all over the place. :D

sailor
9th July 2004, 03:35 PM
I just skined my Zinf player with "aqua"...:p
looks very nice...heheh

jzke
9th July 2004, 04:29 PM
Yeh I play around a lot with Metacuty themes and have found something simple, yet nice looking. LOL, it's blue, but can be adapted to any colour:D:) I want to make a GTK theme to compliment it. That's why I needed the tutorial.. Thnx for that ;)

Varkk
9th July 2004, 04:42 PM
Maybe I'm strange, but I actually like the default bluecurve theme

crackers
9th July 2004, 04:53 PM
/me runs screaming down the street naked...

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...................

jzke
9th July 2004, 04:55 PM
Mmm, no, I love the Bluecurve icons, and currently use the GTK theme, but I don't really like their Metacity one. The GTK theme is good, I reckon it would be better without the sqaure edges on buttons ;)

jzke
9th July 2004, 05:07 PM
oh, and just out of interest crackers, what colour themes do you use?

crackers
10th July 2004, 04:09 PM
Here's a little snippet - I tend to stick with purple, grey, and black. And, no, I'm not depressed... :D

I also need to get my glasses changed - it's a real bummer when you don't need correction for over 40 years of your life, then BAM suddenly you're wearing bifocals.

carbo18
11th July 2004, 07:53 PM
Hey jzke post your theme up when your done, if you don't mind. I'd like to see what you come up with. :)

galland
11th July 2004, 10:53 PM
I think a lot of people like Aqua because Apple crammed a lot of artsy stuff in it without going (too) far overboard. But it does look kind of strange when slapped on top of anything but an actual Mac OS. I like the window title bar, but I don't use the glass slider/buttons or the striped window background theme components.. that is overkill. Good GUI design, artistic or otherwise, is not an easy task. It is like reinventing the wheel.

Galland

jzke
11th July 2004, 11:52 PM
yes, i can imagine the team who designed the aqua GUI would be indeed satisfied with their work, knowing eveyrone is running around creating apps to make their system look the same ;) I really don't think the glossy look of aqau really works on any other system at the moment, thats why i tend to stick with flat colours when I make themes. Here's somehting I'm working on right now...

http://home.iprimus.com.au/bverlin/mybluetheme.tgz