PDA

View Full Version : Read-only Root and Powering Off

plextek_aps
13th May 2008, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with powering off a read-only root system (FC8 based). I understand why I have the problem and I have already had to address it for a more specific case (UPS reported power failure).

The /etc/init.d/halt script does not "obviously" support read-only root very well. It expects /sbin/halt to have generated files (such as /halt, /reboot and for my particular case /poweroff) depending on how it was called. Of course since / is mounted RO this fails and therefore /etc/init.d/halt does not get given the correct info and it does not pass the -p option to the final /sbin/halt call.

To handle the UPS powerfail condition, which used a similar mechanism, I resorted to putting the flag file in a RAM disk (as this is not unmounted during the halt sequence) and patching /etc/init.d/halt accordingly.

I could possibly do the same thing for /sbin/halt, but I really don't want to have to modify the code and recompile. Mainly because it will make tracking and maintenance more difficult for others. I guess I could just put a wrapper in place and create the required files my RAM disk within the wrapper.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what workarounds they have used.

Ta
Adam