PDA

View Full Version : Messed up my GNOME panel

Xx r3negade
11th May 2008, 05:41 PM
I usually have my network manager and update manager icons on my top panel, but I accidently took them off. I right-clicked on the panel and selected "Add to panel...", which gives me a list of programs to add. However, the update manager and network manager are not on the list. How do I add them back?

Also, before, when I closed out of Pidgin, it would minimize to an icon on my panel. It no longer does this. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Hlingler
11th May 2008, 05:59 PM
F8? One way to fix this and restore the default is to BACK UP and (re)move your personal hidden folder ~/.gnome2/panel2.d/. Then logout and log back in - it should be re-created with defaults. Not 100% sure that this is the correct/only folder involved, but if you back up, you can restore it if it's not the right one/doesn't fix the problem.

V

Dan
11th May 2008, 05:59 PM
Hmmm.

Anything else missing from the panels, like the menus? The reason I ask, is once in a while, the panels will crash upon saving preferences, and bork the config files into neutered stupidity.

Dan

EDIT: Hlinger has the way of it. That should fix you up. However, once you them spruced up like you want them, make backups of those directories to simply copy them back in when they get borked.

Xx r3negade
12th May 2008, 07:18 AM
I tried what Hlinger said, and it *did* create a new panel2.d folder - albeit an empty one. Could somebody just post the contents of their panel2.d directory, so I can try to re-create it by hand?

Hlingler
12th May 2008, 07:27 AM
Mine's completely empty too. :eek:

Maybe it's supposed to be empty? :rolleyes:

Did this not fix your panel problem(s)? If so, there must be some other problem as Dan suggested. Do you not have the back-up panel2.d folder to restore?

V

Dan
12th May 2008, 12:51 PM
Most of the panel info is in the panel folder in user>.gconf>apps.

Just for the grins of it, try renaming yours to something else (to keep it out of harm's way) and then copying one from another account.