PDA

View Full Version : Small Linux Distro

sLydE
5th July 2004, 07:27 AM
All right, i have an old machine that i would like to run linux on for an ftp/sql server eventually. here are the specs:
200Mhz PII
64mb ram
450mb hard drive
NO cd drive
diamond savage 2000 pci vid card

now, i want to know what the best distro would be to put on this system. Within a month or so, i'll be getting a bigger hard drive, but i would like all of the system files to be stored on this one if possible. Please note the absense of a working cd rom drive. Thanks in advance!

SuperNu
5th July 2004, 08:54 AM
I would go with Debian. It is mostly setup over a network if you go with the floppy install. Plus, you can really trim out a lot of excess packages you don't ne

--SN

carbo18
5th July 2004, 09:02 AM
I will concur with SuperNu on Debian being a good choice. FreeBSD could also be an option as well, although it is Unix.

sLydE
5th July 2004, 12:14 PM
i know nothing about debian, any place that i can find a quick and easy guide to setting up a no-gui ftp/sql server install?

fjleal
5th July 2004, 12:44 PM
Ever tried damn small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/)? It's Debian-based, but very-very-small...

sLydE
5th July 2004, 01:09 PM
i am going to check that one out now

mbjbdc
5th July 2004, 04:00 PM
how about feather liinux it is 64 mg also debian based and comes with synaptic and apt

carbo18
5th July 2004, 07:44 PM
Please note the absense of a working cd rom drive.

Isn't Damn Small Linux CDROM based?

Feather linux is also CDROM based but can also be installed via pen drive... which requires USB.

I seem to remember that PII started at 233Mhz. So I'm guessing this system is actually a Pentium 200Mhz MMX (first generation pentium). So the motherboard probably doesn't even have USB support. :eek:

imdeemvp
5th July 2004, 08:42 PM
there is a lot of info here about distros and forums:

www.distrowatch.com

and this people here are offering a small distro sample for free:

www.easylinuxcds.com

good luck

btw for a server it will be slow with a p2 200mhz and 64 of ram and 450mb of hd... :D

ilja
6th July 2004, 12:58 AM
i know nothing about debian, any place that i can find a quick and easy guide to setting up a no-gui ftp/sql server install?
http://www.projektfarm.com/en/support/debian_setup/ is a good tutorial

http://www.eisfair.org/index_e.htm is a Server-Linux, very nice for beginner.

sLydE
6th July 2004, 03:37 AM
Isn't Damn Small Linux CDROM based?

Feather linux is also CDROM based but can also be installed via pen drive... which requires USB.

I seem to remember that PII started at 233Mhz. So I'm guessing this system is actually a Pentium 200Mhz MMX (first generation pentium). So the motherboard probably doesn't even have USB support. :eek:

actually, you're right, my eyes decieved me. pentium-4 w/MMX 200MHz, good call. actually, there are usb connections on the back of the mobo, so that might be an option, i'll have to check out the bios and see if i can boot from the usb. (i have a 512mb usb thumb drive)

thanks for all the help

shtik
6th July 2004, 09:53 AM
you can use damn small linux from usb, too. a manual can be found at
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

it describes how to install a working usb-boot damn small linux, it's actually an older version than the newest but i don't think it will be much different with latest version.

Jman
6th July 2004, 11:55 AM
btw for a server it will be slow with a p2 200mhz and 64 of ram and 450mb of hd... :D Bah. I ran a personal webserver (and ftp, database, cvs...) on a P83 with 36 MB RAM with Red Hat 7.3. I'll admit I had more hard drive space though.

Just don't run X graphics, and Fedora can do the same.

sLydE
13th July 2004, 12:35 AM
ok, so it turns out that the ide interface on the motherboard is junk, and doesn't work anymore. i don't have any scsi cards or cables, or hard drives for that matter, so i decided not to use that computer for now. i just decided to use fedora core 2 on my pIII 800, and run my ftp/web/sql server from there. thanks for all the help, that dsl is damn cool.

everest
13th July 2004, 01:38 PM
My personal recommendation for a system like that would be FreeBSD, its secure but can get a little complex running strait from the console. Luckily the FreeBSD handbook on the website provides everything you will need. But thatís all I used on my servers before Fedora so I'm a little biased.

kosmosik
13th July 2004, 10:17 PM
I run my home server (file/print/dhcp/nat/htb/cbq/db/www/php/shell) on similar setup (P2 233Mhz, 64MB RAM + 48MB vRAM from graphics board (as swap)). only hard disk is bigger. but as for now system files take up to 300MB. I wouldn't recommend using very old (400MB must be old) hard drive for system setup... if you consider your time as valuable. such devices tend to die instantly. and you're left reinstaling everything from scratch (or in better case from backup, but still you have a downtime)....

I run FC1 on it.