PDA

View Full Version : installing rpms without...

linux4me
23rd April 2008, 05:36 AM
Hello again. I don't have an active internet connection, but often when I try to instal a new software, an attempt is made to connect to the internet? Can that be disabled? Also, how do you install softwares without checking for dependencies? Thanks for your time

Hlingler
23rd April 2008, 06:58 AM
Last time I tried to run yum with all repos disabled, it choked violently, then died. So far as I know , there must be at least one repo available, but it can be a local repo - i.e., a media disk or whatever, as long as it has all the usual repo metadata and all. I think the install disks are set up this way so that you can use them (I've seen numerous posts of people with repo "InstallMedia" enabled). In such a case, you can run yum without an internet connection and with all other (remote) repos disabled. Yum won't look on the network if there are no remote repos enabled.

You can also use the 'localinstall' switch in place of 'install', but yum will still try to find dependencies in whatever repos are available, local or remote.

A better option for a situation like yours is to just use rpm to manually install packages. But rpm will not go looking for dependencies like yum will - you have to have them, too, and install all together, or install the deps first. You can also force rpm to do an install without dependency checking, but this is very likely to result in broken software, since the functionality provided by missing dependencies will be missing.

V

markkuk
23rd April 2008, 07:03 AM
In your repository configuration enable the Install Media repo and disable all others. That way you can use the install DVD as your pacakge source. "Dependencies" are packages that are required to be present for the package being installed to work. Installing without dependency checking is possible, but normally its pointless because the installed software won't run. See "man rpm" for the "--nodeps" option.

linux4me
23rd April 2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks again for the help. How can I find out for a particular software I want to install, all the packages on which it depends in order to run correctly? And what addresses would you suggest as the best place to obtain what I'm looking for? Thanks again

fhubers
23rd April 2008, 02:55 PM
a way is to do this:
rpm -i xxxxx.rpm --test The --test will keep it from actually installing the package but will tell you what it needs to install correctly. Of course you can just use the
yum localinstall xxxx.rpm and it will tell you what dependencies it needs and then ask you if it is okay to proceed - just tell it no if you don't have the dependencies.

Hlingler
23rd April 2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks again for the help. How can I find out for a particular software I want to install, all the packages on which it depends in order to run correctly? And what addresses would you suggest as the best place to obtain what I'm looking for? Thanks againWithout internet access, probably the best way to find out is (as fhubers said) to test the install and observe any dependency errors.

But if you can get on-line for a few minutes, rpm.pbone.net will not only tell you what specific prerequisites a package requires, but it will test your install to see if you have the required stuff. Do a search for the package name to install, select your flavour of Fedora and then the package version when results are given, and page down for all the details and test. You may need to also check those dependencies for additional sub-dependencies.

V

ValeRa
30th April 2008, 04:11 AM
You can also try

yum -C localinstall xxxx.rpm

this will install packages using cached meta data on your computer, i.e. you won't need any internet access

however, if you hadn't downloaded meta data to your computer, this will result in "error: headers not in local cache"

Overall Linux is best expirienced with a fast internet access, without it it will be a hell :mad: :mad: