PDA

View Full Version : using Ext4 in fedora 8

juanfgs
22nd April 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi, I just bought a new HD, and I'm planning to migrate my /home folder there, as Fedora 9 is about to be released, and it ships with ext4 by default (and ext4 kicks ass :D), I was wondering if it's possible to format my new home partition as ext4 and if that will be okay for fc8? .
By the way I have SELinux disabled(I've heard it only works with ext3, and it might cause trouble with ext4).

Thanks!

cloneu2
22nd April 2008, 05:04 PM
Hi, I just bought a new HD, and I'm planning to migrate my /home folder there, as Fedora 9 is about to be released, and it ships with ext4 by default (and ext4 kicks ass :D), I was wondering if it's possible to format my new home partition as ext4 and if that will be okay for fc8? .
By the way I have SELinux disabled(I've heard it only works with ext3, and it might cause trouble with ext4).

Thanks!
Worked for me.. Do this
when the boot screen appears hit TAB and then to the kernel add ext4

when you get to the screen about your hd select view-modify and then change the ext3 to ext4dev. LEAVE the BOOT sector as ext3. It will then format your drive in ext4. I can't really see a difference except with speed. the ext4 seems to run faster..

enjoy
john

sej7278
22nd April 2008, 05:18 PM
ext4 isn't even production quality, why risk your home directory?

muep
22nd April 2008, 07:00 PM
In addition, AFAIK Fedora 9 doesn't ship with Ext4 as the default filesystem. It's there just for the more adventurous ones.

cloneu2
22nd April 2008, 07:12 PM
ext4 isn't even production quality, why risk your home directory?
Cause the Alpha version of Fedora 9 already ATE it. Just have my dvd backups of data. SO... as long as I am constantly redoing my system (till f9 final) It is just the cost of looking at what is to come!

juanfgs
22nd April 2008, 07:16 PM
Well, I thought ext4 was ready, well, I think that I will stick with Reiser for now. Thanks everyone!

sej7278
22nd April 2008, 10:08 PM
Well, I thought ext4 was ready, well, I think that I will stick with Reiser for now. Thanks everyone!

wow you seem to have the habit of picking the worst filesystems available!

reiserfs is likely to cease development with all the murdering-his-wife stuff going around, even suse pulled support for it. plus its the only filesystem i've used since fat12 that has caused me complete filesystem loss.

try ext4 on unimportant data if you want to help development with bug reports, but by no means use it after release date on important files.

i'd say stick to ext3 for your home and root, and jfs/xfs for data partitions.

juanfgs
23rd April 2008, 01:40 AM
wow you seem to have the habit of picking the worst filesystems available!

:D that made me smile, it seems that we had different experiences with filesystems, actually the only filesystem that I had problems with was ext3, and it cost me a whole /home :D. However I don't discard the possibility of a faulty disk (but it worked pretty well after that).
Also I restored most of the data with ext3, some guys told me that it isn't that easy (or even impossible) to do that wit reiserfs

reiserfs is likely to cease development with all the murdering-his-wife stuff going around, even suse pulled support for it.
I have that in mind, that why I was considering ext4. It's really a pity, I really liked reiserfs.

plus its the only filesystem i've used since fat12 that has caused me complete filesystem loss.
Like I said before, I never had a problem with ReiserFS.

try ext4 on unimportant data if you want to help development with bug reports, but by no means use it after release date on important files.

well since I'm going to have a spare partition on my old disk, maybe I give it a try :D

i'd say stick to ext3 for your home and root, and jfs/xfs for data partitions.

I'm going to have that in mind, you are not the only person that has told me that reiserfs was a PITA (at least to recover data) and the possibility of losing support for it . So I think I will think about that tonight, tomorrow morning I will install. I'm leaning towards ext3 right now, as I have really important data right now (If I lose that I'm dead :D ).

I heard that XFS worked well with big files, do you recommend having other partition for things like music and videos in XFS?.
I usually use a big /home for all my files anyway (I'm pretty lazy with that).

Thanks for your reply!

sej7278
23rd April 2008, 02:19 PM
I heard that XFS worked well with big files, do you recommend having other partition for things like music and videos in XFS?.
I usually use a big /home for all my files anyway (I'm pretty lazy with that).

i'm a bit naughty and don't bother with a seperate partition for /home - as i never do os upgrades, i always do fresh installs.

i keep all my large data (mp3's, avi's, iso's, vmware images etc.) on whole seperate disks with their own partition, so all that goes in /home is my documents and stuff, and that gets backed up to various other drives/pc's.

Jongi
25th May 2008, 12:58 AM
Fedora doesn't come standard with reiser as well but it works very well. i will be one of the ext4 guinea pigs.