PDA

View Full Version : How to track the commands that are issued as a result of a gui event

susmit_koirala
21st April 2008, 06:17 PM
I know that every gui event translates to a command for the system but when i tried to check the commands corresponding to these events i couldn't find it.I did find out that to trace the list of commands used in the shell one can use the history command.

Can anyone help me out on how to track these gui event corresponding commands?

bryancole
21st April 2008, 08:34 PM
In general, GUI events do not result in the execution of system commands. The only case where this could be considered true is for desktop or panel application-launchers and Application menu items. In these cases, they launch new processes outside of the any shell, so you cannot see what has been launched using the shell history.

If you just want to see what command a launcher calls, I suggest you drag the launcher or menu item onto the desktop, right-click, select "properties" and look at the "command" item.

You can see a list of all your running processed using gnome-system-monitor. The list includes (or can include, if you configure it so) the names of the commands used to launch each process and the time/date they were started, and a bunch of other information (PID, CPU usage, memory usage etc).

If you are really talking about logging all GUI events from some application, then this is not possible (AFAIK) without modifying the source-code of the application.

BC