PDA

View Full Version : Network Not Available On Boot?

atrizu
21st April 2008, 03:24 AM
I'm an all-around linux noob so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, I only know the symptom(s). On boot of my FC8 machine, it's as if my NIC is not on or something. I can't even ping it. But as soon as I log in locally, everything is fine. Any ideas?

stevea
21st April 2008, 06:58 AM
Is this wired or wireless ? If wireless what tool are you using to connect ?

Wireless typically requires a per-user network authentication so most of the tools don't build a wireless connection till login. I don't think that per-user/timeshare system model makes much sense for a laptop, but that's what the boneheads in gnome-land and elsewhere think.

scotty38
21st April 2008, 11:12 AM
I had a very similar problem where I couldn't mount a remote NFS drive until I'd logged in.

My problem was that "NetworkManager" was running at S98 instead of "network" at S10.

Now, I appreciate that if you're new to this then what I've just said probably means nothing so I'll post the link to the thread that helped me and you can try and work out if you have the same problem....

My post (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=185535)

atrizu
21st April 2008, 11:39 PM
Well I learned a lot from that thread but I'm still not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing here. I'm even more a linux noob that you we're when you had the problem.

scotty38
22nd April 2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, give me a little while and I'll put something together for you to go through.

Given, that I'm new to this too you may want to hang fire on anything I tell you to give chance for someone more experienced to shout up just in case I give you the wrong information.

scotty38
22nd April 2008, 09:34 AM
Ok, I'm making an assumption that you have the same problem as me and it's on that basis I'm giving you this information.

First we need to check which scripts are running and when:

In a terminal session type:

chkconfig --list

What you're looking for is an instance of either "network" or "NetworkManager" and the levels they're running at (most likely 2,3,4 and 5).

I suspect you may only have "NetworkManager". If that's the case then:

chkconfig NetworkManager off

and

chkconfig network on

This should then start your network card much earlier in the boot process. You'll also not have the "network connected" type messages pop up at login as they're part of the NetworkManager bit.

Again, please give the experienced guys a chance to read this and comment just in case I'm steering you in the wrong direction.

Martin

atrizu
12th May 2008, 04:47 AM
OK, sorry for the long delay. I gave up on this because finals were fast approaching but am now back on the case. When I looked at the chkconfig listing, I only had network, and all of them were off. So I tried chkconfig network on, it added them to my 2,3,4, and 5 runlevels but still no change.

atrizu
15th May 2008, 04:56 PM
Bump. Any ideas?

scotty38
15th May 2008, 07:29 PM
Are you sure networkManager is not running, look right at the top of the list.....

atrizu
16th May 2008, 03:30 AM
Ah, I was looking at the list alphabetically, now I see that NetworkManager is on. Turned it off and that did it! Thanks for your help scotty!