PDA

View Full Version : Errortrying to load Applications-->Add/Remove Software

ronyosi
19th April 2008, 04:30 PM
Hi.

after trying to install XGL on my system, suddenly yum doesn't work!!!

I discovered that it does not work at this point:

[root@localhost ronyosi]# yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia kmod-nvidia
Setting up Remove Process
http://www.illawarra.org/linux/fedora/8/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: illawarra. Please verify its path and try again
[root@localhost ronyosi]#

thanks,
Ron

Hlingler
19th April 2008, 06:14 PM
This has nothing to do with XGL.

If that's the Presto repo for x86_64 updates, perhaps it's down/off-line at the moment. Try either:
> before the other command, run: yum clean all
> run the command with presto disabled: yum --disablepresto remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia kmod-nvidia
> run command with updates repo disabled: yum --disablerepo=updates remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia kmod-nvidia

If that's not the presto repo:
> before the other command, run: yum clean all
> run command with illawarra repo disabled: yum --disablerepo=illawarra remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia kmod-nvidia

BTW, you do realize that you're about to remove your video driver, right?

V

ronyosi
19th April 2008, 06:49 PM
yaa I do realize, but I just don't know what to do to fix this.
Even trying to load yum from the application menu does not work.
It gives the error:

Unable to retrieve software information
Unable to retrieve software information. This could
be caused by not having a network connection

when I checked details it showed:
Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: illawarra. Please verify its path and try again

Hlingler
19th April 2008, 08:40 PM
yaa I do realize, but I just don't know what to do to fix this.
Even trying to load yum from the application menu does not work.
It gives the error:

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: illawarra. Please verify its path and try againYes, if you start yum (actually, PIRUT which is a GUI for yum) from the menus, it's going to fail with the same error. Obviously, the target site is off-line (I can't get it in the browser). So, you have to disable it. If you run the command as stated above, it should work:
yum --disablerepo=illawarra remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia kmod-nvidiaV

leigh123linux
19th April 2008, 08:47 PM
I would remove illawarra altogether as it only supports FC5

su
rm -rf /etc/yum.repos.d/*illawarra*repo

and post

ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d/

P.S there are no XGL packages for F8 , you use AIGLX for compiz in F8 !

Hlingler
19th April 2008, 09:23 PM
I agree with Leigh, and I notice now that you appear to be trying to install xorg-x11-server-Xgl and compiz-fusion from illawarra. I do not see why you must remove the nvidia driver to do so, you must be following some guide, and/or have an old nvidia card running the legacy 71xx driver like I do. It would be helpful if you stated the whole scenario in the beginning, so that the real problem (which has nothing to do with yum nor XGL) could be quickly addressed and time saved for everyone.

If you truly need them, a better place to get these is to go to the website that Leigh pointed out to me, and get the automated installer for xorg-x11-server-Xgl. To use this on F8, you have to edit one of the lines in the installer script, since packages are only for up to F7. See here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=993427&postcount=46

Good Luck,
V

ronyosi
20th April 2008, 12:55 AM
hi.

This is a new post, because I did not describe the problem accurately and this caused confusion.

These error messages that show also show when I am just trying to log into Application -->add remove software

Please note that the error messages that show up are as follows (before I even try installing/uninstalling anything!)

It gives the error:

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: illawarra. Please verify its path and try again

Please be patient I am a complete noob. how can I fix yum/installing app?

Seve
20th April 2008, 01:03 AM
( Threads Merged )

Please do not double / cross Post

See the FedoraForum.org guidelines (http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide)

Seve

ronyosi
20th April 2008, 01:03 AM
hi, I fixed it.
I just needed to select and deselect some repositories from the list, otherwise yum did not continue.

Thanks
Ron

ronyosi
20th April 2008, 01:04 AM
oh and sorry for cross posting, I won't do it again :-)