PDA

View Full Version : Extra output was generated by package manager

yonnieboy
19th April 2008, 05:11 PM
I get the above message when I run the package manager. I'm having trouble with finding out what this really means. And how do I find out what this 'extra output' is?

bingoUV
19th April 2008, 06:13 PM
Anything in /var/log/yum.log ?
Does this message comes everytime you run package manager? If so, try running the following from command line when you try to install something

yum -v install <whatever>

yonnieboy
20th April 2008, 12:25 AM
Well, I get a lot of verbage but no box with extra output message. Yum may be the package manager, but your method is the manual mode. Where I'm getting the error message is the gui item called Package Manager. A box pops up which I have to close to acknowledge that I have been informed about the 'extra output', but the box does not inform what this 'extra output' is, nor does it suggest where I can find out. /var/log/yum.log doesn't appear to have anything of import either.

Hlingler
20th April 2008, 01:07 AM
Well, I get a lot of verbage but no box with extra output message. Yum may be the package manager, but your method is the manual mode. Where I'm getting the error message is the gui item called Package Manager. A box pops up which I have to close to acknowledge that I have been informed about the 'extra output', but the box does not inform what this 'extra output' is, nor does it suggest where I can find out. /var/log/yum.log doesn't appear to have anything of import either.It seems to me that you have in fact found it....

The GUI/front-end "Package Manager" is not giving you the "extra output", it's merely telling you that extra output was generated. Possibly that output was printed to your ~/.xsession-errors file, maybe not. Does the "verbage" from the command-line give you any clue as to what if any important messages you should be aware of? Or is it just the usual output that yum churns out as it does it's job?

V

yonnieboy
20th April 2008, 07:17 AM
Long list of errors in that xsession-errors file. So I tried the package manager again in an attempt to find which error would show up, I downloaded an xmms doc. The darn thing wouldn't comply with the extra output was generated error. Somehow it fixed itself. I used yum to download the rss screensaver a little earlier and it generated a huge verbose list. None of which looked related to extra output errors.

bingoUV
20th April 2008, 08:14 AM
It would save a lot of energy if you could just post the output of yum -v to this forum. Someone here might recognize what is extra about it.

yonnieboy
20th April 2008, 08:33 AM
I suspect it wouldn't fit, very large file from another computer not this one. I'd have to generate another file again, and the error seems to be gone. If it would have been a smaller file I would have posted it automatically, as such data is useful for all.

bingoUV
20th April 2008, 12:30 PM
This forums can handle attachments. Log files can be compressed by gzip to a remarkable degree. Rest is up to you.

yonnieboy
20th April 2008, 08:53 PM
I was able to copy the xsessions-error file, but for an unknown reason the yum.log file is empty...nothing to copy. Also the display is doing weird blinking problem like the video is going to crap-out. Don't know yet as to what is the cause unless it's related to the badwindow error mentioned in this copied file. Also too, this file is much smaller than it was yesterday, again, don't know why.

W: polkit.c: Failed to show grant dialog: Unable to lookup exe for caller
W: polkit.c: PolicyKit responded with 'auth_admin_keep_always'
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
xset: bad font path element (#81), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
Failure: Module initalization failed
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 19
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a07396
Resource id: 0x2a086fd
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py", line 1069, in <module>
service_running=service_running, trayicon=trayicon)
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py", line 169, in __init__
pixbuf = theme.load_icon (ICON, 22, 0)
gobject.GError: Icon 'printer' not present in theme
Resource id: 0x2a0a90e
Resource id: 0x2a11aa2