PDA

View Full Version : gnome nautilus icons not longer play music on mouse fly-over ?

waterwingz
19th April 2008, 05:12 AM
One cute feature I discovered in FC8 (that may have been there before) is that when the mouse cursor passes over icons for music files (e.g. mp3), the song starts to play. Or at least that's what happened with the FC8 installation that I did from a "live" CD.

Recently, after an amazingly stupid mistake (trying to remove Perl so that I could re-install it cleanly) I reloaded FC8 from scratch with a regular install (i.e. not from a live CD). Everything went well but I no longer hear music when my mouse cursor lingers over the icon of an mp3 file.

What have I done wrong ?

Tony

pikul
19th April 2008, 07:36 AM
I think you get that when xmms and xmms mp3 support is installed :)

waterwingz
19th April 2008, 04:42 PM
Well, I have xmms and xmms mp3 support installed. Xmms is also my "default" music player. However, music does not play when my mouse cursor is over a music file icon. I've tried google and can't even find any mention that this feature exists, much less how to enable it.

Tony

waterwingz
19th April 2008, 08:52 PM
Got it working again. Found various "solutions" by googling for "gnome nautilus icon preview" including enabling ESD, installing mpg321, installing vorbis-tools. Did all that and it didn't work until I installed all the good, bad and ugly codecs for gstreamer.

bpepple
20th April 2008, 09:29 PM
Did all that and it didn't work until I installed all the good, bad and ugly codecs for gstreamer.
Yeah, nautilus uses the gstreamer framework for it's audio preview feature.