PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions (QQ)

h4t3
18th April 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Guys,

Question 1

Im just trying to identify if anyone has had this issue before. When i log onto fedora, i get a box saying 319 security updates avalable. i apply update's and it goes through a couple of processes before telling me that i have to download to update. i click ok. about 2 - 3 minutes after that it seems to jam up, if i drag another window on top of it it goes all funny and looses text. i thought that it may just be downloading but i left it all day today when i went to tafe, and then a few more hours... its been about 12 hours now and its still at the same damn broken screen! is there another program to update? this one is called "Package Updater".

Question 2

I have been trying to play WoW and Starcraft on Fedora using Wine. Warcraft wouldnt load (i think cos i dont have driver for video card maybe?) and starcraft would load but would crash on its way into battle.net. So i downloaded some drivers from nVidia. And i type in sh /home/****/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run and it hits me up with this lil message
ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing.
And also pops up a bubble in the right corner saying SE Denial. Why does it say i am running a server? How do i stop it?

Thanks in advance,

H4t3

kurzer
18th April 2008, 12:23 PM
Answer 1:
I've also seen this before. When you have many packages to download the pup window does not update often enough. If you want to see what's going on (at least for large updates) you could use yum on the commandline to update.

yum update

Answer 2:
X Server is the 'program' which handles the graphic output (not very precise, i know see X.org (http://www.x.org/wiki/) for more infos). You cannot install the NVidia driver if your X is running. My suggestion is to use the livna repo for installing the NVidia driver, it's much easier especially because you have to update the driver with every kernel update. Livna does it automatically. Search the forum and installation guides for the livna repo

markkuk
18th April 2008, 12:32 PM
See the Fedora FAQ for NVidia driver installation instructions: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia

h4t3
19th April 2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks alot guys :) help really appreciated! yum update = GReAT!