PDA

View Full Version : Problem playing sound in FC8

euphgeek
17th April 2008, 06:13 PM
I don't seem to be able to make sound work on my computer. It was working before, but now the only way I can get sound to play is by using mplayer. If I use mplayer, the sound works perfectly. But if I try to play something from another application like Firefox, there's no sound. At first I was able to get sound to work either in Konsole or Firefox, but not both at the same time. I uninstalled Pulseaudio since I had heard a lot of people complain about it and I had been getting a lot of errors relating to that, but that didn't solve my problem. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get my sound working again?

bingoUV
17th April 2008, 08:27 PM
In the file /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms, at the top add

<sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*

and at the bottom, add

<console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root

euphgeek
17th April 2008, 08:59 PM
It didn't work. I even restarted Gnome and I'm still getting no sound unless I use mplayer.

bingoUV
18th April 2008, 07:13 PM
Did you reboot after this? You might also have to run System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection again.

euphgeek
19th April 2008, 01:40 AM
I rebooted and ran the soundcard detection. The test sound worked fine, but I was still unable to hear any sound from Firefox. I turned up the sound in the online flash video all the way and was able to just barely hear some sound, so I turned up my speakers all the way and was able to hear it. Then once I turned up the sound in soundcard detection all the way, it worked fine and I could turn my speakers back down.

I wonder if it was that way all along? I had been able to hear the test sound all along, after all. I sure feel stupid if that's all it was.

Edit: Is there any way to turn up the volume further? In order to hear sound in Firefox at a comfortable level, I have to turn my speakers up to the point where I hear a hiss coming from them.

euphgeek
20th April 2008, 05:50 AM
Never mind, I figured it out. I just had to add the Alsa mixer to the panel and adjust the sound that way.

ghost_ryder35
20th April 2008, 02:21 PM
also can check out alsa from the command line

alsamixer

euphgeek
21st April 2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, wow, that's cool. I never knew about that before. Thanks!