PDA

View Full Version : lilo troubles (redhat 6.2)

fizy
17th April 2008, 05:45 PM
I got tasked to fix a redhat 6.2 installation. The situation is like this. The guy installed redhat 6.2 (yeah, I know, it's way old) placing lilo in the root partition /dev/sda2 (/dev/sda3 is the linux swap) and then he installed winxp and did the NTloader thing, but it turns out that lilo won't boot now (it says "LI.." and gets stuck there. And I wanted to know. How do I fix that?

Nokia
17th April 2008, 06:37 PM
Do a FixMBR from windows rescue then search the forum for the name (I forgot it :) ) of the boot manager to be used from Winows for various OS-es.

Nokia
17th April 2008, 06:56 PM
That would be EasyBCD available here http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

stoat
17th April 2008, 07:24 PM
Hello everybody,

EasyBCD is for the new Vista boot loader (or so I thought... Boot Configuration Data store and all that). XP, which was mentioned here, still uses NTLoader and boot.ini.

If everything was working with NTLoader booting both systems until XP was re-installed, and that is all that was done, then LILO is still installed in the Red Hat partition boot sector. All that needs to be done is create another copy of that sector to a binary file using the dd command, copy it to the XP root directory, edit the boot.ini file to add an entry to launch the binary file. It works just like the way we do it for GRUB. See here for more details...

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

It's the LILO configuration part that I have long forgotten, but that part should be still be okay.

P.S.: After re-reading that first post again, I am not so sure this situation was ever working properly. So... Anyway, maybe that linked article about NTLoader and LILO will still help some.

fizy
17th April 2008, 11:25 PM
The "dd" part was already done, and there's an entry for redhat already in the XP bootloader. The problem is that it won't boot (it shows the first two letters of the familiar "lilo" message and gets stuck there).

Nokia
18th April 2008, 12:12 AM
I wasn't so much out of line after all :)
Does EasyBCD work without Windows Vista?

The official answer is no. But in reality, EasyBCD doesn't actually require Windows Vista itself just the bootloader that comes with it. You can follow these steps to install the Vista bootloader on a non-Vista machine once that's done and working, EasyBCD should run without a problem and with no limitations.

On the other hand, clearly LILO has to be reinstalled.

fizy
18th April 2008, 02:51 AM
I wasn't so much out of line after all :)

On the other hand, clearly LILO has to be reinstalled.

And how would I do that without breaking NTldr.