PDA

View Full Version : Adding themes on fedora core 8

bodat
17th April 2008, 06:20 AM
hi good day.. im a new user of fedora.. i would like to ask how can i add themes on fedora core 8... will changing is easy... but adding is harder.. can anyone help me with this.... and what is the file extension on fedora core it theme package.. your help will be very much appreciated.. thanks a lot...

Hlingler
17th April 2008, 08:00 AM
Well, you can add theme packages (RPMs) from the Fedora repositories. It will be easiest if you use a GUI for yum, like yumex. That way, you can just search for packages named "theme", and install them. Then you can adjust your desktop settings after you install the new theme packages.

Adding themes from 3rd-party sources is a little more difficult, but you should find plenty of themes in the Fedora repos.

V

bodat
17th April 2008, 08:36 AM
how can i update this GUI for yum.....

can you tell me sir step by sstep..... im still a rokie

Hlingler
17th April 2008, 08:51 AM
From the menus, open a terminal (aka: "xterm", "console", "konsole", "terminal", "command line" - any one of them will do) to get to a text command line (much like a DOS prompt). Then log in as root user. Then tell yum to install yumex:
[vince@micron-pc-rb Thu Apr 17 03:40:27 ~]$ su -l <<== That's a lowercase "L"
Password: <<== Enter root-user password here, then press enter
[root@micron-pc-rb Thu Apr 17 03:40:34 ~]# yum install yumex <<== Then press enterYou will see yum look for the repositories and check dependencies, then finally ask you if it's OK to install yumex - answer: y[es]. When yum is done installing yumex, log out of the terminal with exit:
[root@micron-pc-rb Thu Apr 17 03:48:37 ~]# exit <<== Then press enter
logout
[vince@micron-pc-rb Thu Apr 17 03:48:41 ~]$ exit <<== Then press enterYou will find yumex on the menus - start it (you will need root-user password), and use it to search the "Available" packages for "theme" packages.

V

bodat
17th April 2008, 09:28 AM
its still installing.. anyway thanks for your generous help....

will its yum extender right... i cant find the search button.... anyway thanks for the help.. i guess i can handle this one... just follow your good instruction and excellent. thanks...

bodat
18th April 2008, 01:17 AM
will sir Hlingler i guess i have to take back my word... i cant find the browse button to search for a theme from my hard drive.. help... yum extender only shows me updates.....

Hlingler
18th April 2008, 01:37 AM
In the "Packages" tab, you have to click on the "Available" radio-button to show a list of all available packages. The other buttons are: "Updates", "Installed" and "All". The "Updates" button is on by default when you start yumex.

If there are no packages shown, then you must first go to the "Repository Selection" tab and click on the "Refresh" button to refresh yum's cache of packages.

V

Wayne
18th April 2008, 01:47 AM
Of course, the biggest piece of missing information is whether you're using KDE or Gnome... You can't use themes from Gnome on KDE and vice versa....

Wayne

bodat
18th April 2008, 03:04 AM
still i cant find the themes in my hard drive. the file extension are tg.bz, and tg.bz2 and rpm

Hlingler
18th April 2008, 03:19 AM
Well, you can add theme packages (RPMs) from the Fedora repositories. It will be easiest if you use a GUI for yum, like yumex. That way, you can just search for packages named "theme", and install them. Then you can adjust your desktop settings after you install the new theme packages.You do not need to "find" them....

Have you installed any new theme packages? If so, go to your "Desktop Settings" utility, and see what new themes are available. If not, use yumex to find and install more. As an example, here are the theme packages that I have installed:
bluecurve-icon-theme-8.0.0-1.fc8.noarch
emerald-themes-0.7.5-4.fc8.noarch
fedora-gnome-theme-8.0.0-1.fc8.noarch
fedora-icon-theme-1.0.0-1.fc8.noarch
fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.noarch
fedorainfinity-kdm-theme-1.0.4-1.fc8.noarch
fedorainfinity-screensaver-theme-1.0.0-1.fc8.noarch
fedora-screensaver-theme-1.0.0-1.fc8.noarch
gnome-icon-theme-2.20.0-2.fc8.noarch
gnome-theme-clearlooks-bigpack-0.6-7.fc8.noarch
gnome-theme-curvylooks-0.3-1.fc8.noarch
gnome-themes-2.20.2-1.fc8.noarch
gnome-themes-extras-2.20-5.fc8.noarch
hicolor-icon-theme-0.10-2.noarch
kdmtheme-1.2.2-1.fc8.i386
nodoka-metacity-theme-0.3.2-2.fc8.noarch
nodoka-theme-gnome-0.3.2-2.fc8.noarch
tango-icon-theme-0.8.1-1.fc8.noarch
tango-icon-theme-extras-0.1.0-1.fc7.noarch
themes-backgrounds-gnome-0.4-6.fc6.noarch
xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2-1.fc8.noarch
xfwm4-themes-4.4.2-1.fc8.noarch

PabloTwo
18th April 2008, 03:57 AM
bodat, if you are using GNOME, besides adding new themes from the Fedora repository with yum or yumex, you can browse to http://www.gnome-look.org/ and download whatever you like from there. There is a huge collection of desktop themes and other graphics goodies at that site. I believe there are sister sites for KDE and XFCE users as well. Once there, I'd suggest clicking on "GTK 2.x" and browse through the listing there. "Metacity" and "Compiz" are other choices as well.

When you download a theme from there, it will almost always be a file ending with .tar.gz or .tar.bz2. Just pay attention to which folder you download them to so you'll know where to find them. Then click on System > Preferences > Theme. Click the "Install theme" button, which will bring up a file browser. Go to the file you downloaded, highlighting it, and click Open. The new theme will now be part of your collection of themes to choose from. Once you've 'imported' the theme, it's OK to delete the original .tar.gz file.

Themes are stored in either /usr/share/themes or ~/.themes (your home user directory).

Paul

Hlingler
21st April 2008, 10:44 AM
still i cant find the themes in my hard drive. the file extension are tg.bz, and tg.bz2 and rpmWell, I don't know where they are either! :) You need to know where on your hard drive you put those downloaded files - probably in your personal home folder, /home/<username>/Download/. As Paul wrote:
When you download a theme from there, it will almost always be a file ending with .tar.gz or .tar.bz2. Just pay attention to which folder you download them to so you'll know where to find them. Then click on System > Preferences > Theme. Click the "Install theme" button, which will bring up a file browser. Go to the file you downloaded, highlighting it, and click Open. The new theme will now be part of your collection of themes to choose from. Once you've 'imported' the theme, it's OK to delete the original .tar.gz file.See the screenshot of the theme manager above for a picture of this.

If you downloaded a theme package in RPM format, then you need to install it with "Package Manager" instead.

V

bodat
28th April 2008, 02:37 AM
good day sir.. sorry for the late reply.. will system/preferences exist but the theme part is messing.. actually come with another idea by just dragging the package to the theme category at the appearance and it works.. my theme change but my menu bar are still the same.. can you give an idea how to change it?....

PabloTwo
28th April 2008, 02:57 AM
Go the the "theme category", as you call it. Browse through the list of available themes until you get to the one that you are currently using and highlight it by clickiing on it once. Click on Theme Details, which will bring up another box. Click on the Window Border tab. Select the windoow border you wish to use. There will probably be one that matches the new theme you recently installed.

bodat
28th April 2008, 04:54 AM
still the same.. what i mean is that the menu bar will change its form.. like vista thier are icons at the bottom center or uper center..

Hlingler
28th April 2008, 05:08 AM
Hi bodat:

Can you attach a screenshot so that we can see what you mean?

V

PabloTwo
28th April 2008, 02:20 PM
bodat, earlier in this thread Wayne made the point that you have not as yet stated if you are using Gnome or KDE (or something else) as your Desktop Environment. You still haven't mentioned which DE you are using. I've been assuming Gnome in the advice and examples I've given you. When you said "menu bar" I tried to decipher that to mean "title bar" on an open window. My mistake. Perhaps what you meant by that was "panel bar" (?) as it would be called in Gnome.

So, why don't you tell us which DE you are using so we all aren't running around in circles here?