PDA

View Full Version : Weird fonts issue (either gtk or xfce)

forkbomb
15th April 2008, 07:58 PM
Tried googling around, but I'm having a problem pinning this one down to even GTK or XFCE configuration. See the screenshot.... the artsy font is cropping up and annoying me. I've noticed it in two places: OpenOffice.org fonts when the document has "Automatic" as the font or a font not on my system. The other place is in flash objects such as on YouTube.

Funny thing is I don't recall setting that font anywhere. I'm leaning towards it being a GTK issue because I've set XFCE to use DejaVu Sans font faces. Am I on the right track?

[tjvanwyk@localhost mcs_settings]$ cat xfwm4.xml |grep Font
<option name="Xfwm/TitleFont" type="string" value="DejaVu LGC Sans 9"/>

So, it appears to be a GTK default? XFCE fonts per se look fine.

Guess I could just delete my username, backup data, and recreate the profile, but I've been tweaking it for awhile. Installing True Type fonts might be a workaround too (my guess is this artsy font is replacing Arial), but I'd like to figure out where that artsy font is defined as a default. :confused:

Nokia
15th April 2008, 09:34 PM
Did you try an 8 or 7 value to see if it changes anything ?

forkbomb
16th April 2008, 04:04 AM
Did you try an 8 or 7 value to see if it changes anything ?
:confused:
Well, the size isn't the issue. It's the face that's being used in OOo and in flash (example in the Impress window).

RupertPupkin
16th April 2008, 05:30 AM
Man, that is one fugly font. :D

Gtk+ apps normally use TrueType fonts, so you could look in a font viewer to see the name of the font, then grep for that name in all files under your home directory.

Nokia
16th April 2008, 06:19 AM
:confused:
Well, the size isn't the issue. It's the face that's being used in OOo and in flash (example in the Impress window).

Ah sorry. I was seeing your screenshot in a small Cooliris window and the characters in File-View-Edit... appeared incomplete either from top or bottom. So I was under a false assumption regarding your problem. That's why I suggested a smaller value than the one shown in your cat command.