PDA

View Full Version : gecko stops firefox launching

nickrec
14th April 2008, 01:16 PM
Since a recent fsck, every time I try to launch firefox, I get a bug report. I've had a look at similar issues on this forum and the net, and it seems like mine hasn't happened before! The first bug report I got said:

----------- .xsession-errors (79 sec old) ---------------------
SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/2139,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2139
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/me/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms: Failed to open file '/home/me/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms': No such file or directory

after crashing.
To try and fix this, I created the file default1.ms and then tried to launch, only coming back with the following bug:

----------- .xsession-errors (562 sec old) ---------------------
SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/2139,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2139
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/me/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms: Failed to open file '/home/me/.metacity/sessions/default1.ms': No such file or directory
(gecko:2603): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Nimbus Roman No9 L 12'
79faaa66-2391-c8a4-463e7e66-74424a40 is dumped
(gecko:2663): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Nimbus Roman No9 L 12'
2e490056-1080-51e9-3c3a069d-23ea8acd is dumped
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/Progress.py:87: GtkWarning: gtk_progress_set_percentage: assertion `percentage >= 0 && percentage <= 1.0' failed
self.pbar.set_fraction(fract)

It seems like there could be a font issue, but I'm not really experienced enough to tell. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what could be causing this crash, and what I can do to fix it? I tried a re-installation of Firefox just to check it wasn't that, but I got exactly the same errors.

Thank you.

emeyal
22nd May 2008, 01:32 PM
Hi,

(gecko:2603): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Nimbus Roman No9 L 12'
79faaa66-2391-c8a4-463e7e66-74424a40 is dumped

I had a similar problem with Firefox 3 as well as with Thunderbird. The problem has to do with some fonts not having read privileges. The following actions helped me.
First locate the folder in which the "offending" font resides - note that in the error message the font begins with a capital letter, while in the fonts folder it wouldn't. In your case I would run:
$ locate nimbus
Once you find the folder (say it is named fonts_folder) run:
$ sudo chmod -R +r fonts_folder
Before running chmod you can also run
$ ll fonts_folder
in order to make sure that the offending font indeed lacks read privileges.
I hope this helps,
Eyal