PDA

View Full Version : Laptop freeze during shutdown

i1n2d3y4
2nd July 2004, 08:49 PM
I have FC2 installed on a HP zt3030.

whenever I shutdown the machine, it tries to insert the module for a floppy drive (or at least that's what it says in the error message). after this the machine just sits there doing nothing. I have to physically do a ctrl+alt+del.

The laptop does not have a floppy drive that's probably why the insert fails. Any ideas on how I can get the shutdown script to stop trying to insert the floppy module.

Thanks in advance

ghenry
3rd July 2004, 12:52 AM
Could yo upost the message and let us know how you shutdown etc? Thanks.

intellifuse
3rd July 2004, 02:18 AM
None of that would be terribly helpful, now would it? If a machine freezes totally, one has to go the hard reboot route.

Anyway, for anyone else who might experience similar problems, the solution is to just boot into single user mode, then:

# chkconfig pcmcia off
# reboot

That'll do it.

ghenry
3rd July 2004, 02:33 AM
None of that would be terribly helpful, now would it?

intellifuse: I think it would be useful because i1n2d3y4 says he gets an error message. I would like to read this message, as it may well have nothing to do with pcmcia.

For example, mine freezes if I pull the cdrom/floppy combo out, then unfreezes, after unloading the correct module.

I think his floppy drive is internal, which will not be a pcmcia issue:

after this the machine just sits there doing nothing

Which might well only need a
/etc/modules.conf or
/etc/modprobe.conf modification.

Gavin.

ghenry
3rd July 2004, 02:35 AM
# chkconfig pcmcia off
# reboot

That'll do it.

That'll also ruin a lot of other peices of hardware he might well use, which, in my mind, isn't really a solution.

Or, we could say, "just leave the laptop off" :)

i1n2d3y4
3rd July 2004, 03:46 AM
gavin,

the error message I get is as follows:

floppy0: no floppy controllers found
modprobe: FATAL: Error Inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko) no such device

the error comes up when the system tries to shutdown the pcmcia system (I think :confused: ). once the error comes up i have to do a ctrl+alt+del to go into runlevel 6 and once the filesystems have unmounted switch of power using the power switch.

The laptop is one of the new machines which does not have any floppy drive

ghenry
3rd July 2004, 03:58 AM
can you post /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/modules.conf too.

i1n2d3y4
3rd July 2004, 04:03 AM
the /etc/modprobe.conf is :
alias eth0 8139cp
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
install hostap /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install hostap; /sbin/modprobe hostap_crypt_wep
alias net-pf-10 off
alias eth1 ipw2100

there is no /etc/modules.conf

ghenry
3rd July 2004, 04:19 AM
Also look in /etc/pcmcia/config

i1n2d3y4
3rd July 2004, 04:40 AM
there is no modules.conf in /etc/pcmcia either,
/etc/pcmcia/config does not contain any reference to floppy.ko,

is there anything else I can check??

gmontag
3rd July 2004, 07:59 AM
Check the bios settings and turn off the floppy if it showing present there.