PDA

View Full Version : Making all applications use OSS4?

lesstwo
2nd April 2008, 04:33 AM
Hi,

I had a thread in Fedora 8 64 bit, but I have reinstalled with 32 bit and got OSS v4 working. However, it only works in theory. The command "osstest" does produce sound (albeit a bit static-ridden), but it's the best I'm ever going to get on an X-Fi card. The problem is that I can't get sound everywhere. For instance, the Gnome volume applet still has an (x) and clicking on it gives the following error:

The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

Also, in System>Preferences>Hardware>Sound>Devices I have chosen OSS for each option, and the Test button works. However, in the next tab "Sounds" none of the sounds work. More importantly, Flash doesn't playback audio in Firefox. Amarok does work.

Is there a way to redirect all calls to ALSA or pulseaudio to OSS? I am (as I stated in the other thread) new to Linux so please tailor your suggestions accordingly.

Please help. Sound is the last issue for Fedora on this system. I don't want to have to go back to Windows!

sideways
2nd April 2008, 02:02 PM
Have you tried running pavucontrol, right-clicking on the appropriate audio app and selecting an audio device?

Some people have better results in F8 by uninstalling pulseaudio, or just the pulseaudio alsa plugin

lesstwo
2nd April 2008, 09:33 PM
Running pavucontrol just returned "Segmentation fault."

I ran "# rpm -qa |grep pulse" and removed everything involving pulseaudio using yum. Still no system sounds or sound in Flash.

Any other ideas?

Edit: I can play mp3's in Amarok, so I know that OSS v4 is working like a charm. I just need to tell everything else to use it! I care more about Flash than system sounds, however.

sideways
2nd April 2008, 10:05 PM
I don't know how to do that, I've always used alsa. Maybe try installing the alsa oss wrapper

yum install alsa-oss

Sorry I can't be more help, perhaps someone else has better ideas.

lesstwo
3rd April 2008, 03:47 AM
I tried alsa-oss, but without any success. Anybody?

lesstwo
3rd April 2008, 05:02 PM
Anybody at all... :(

sideways
3rd April 2008, 06:17 PM
If it's specifically flash you are concerned about, then I recall reading that alsa is selected by default by the flash sourcecode, and you can't change it without adding a support library.

A quick google gives the link to the support library
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:Additional_Interface_Support_for_Linu x

The notes on that page say OSS support is just one component that is disabled without installing this library.

I have no experience with this myself, I hope it will fix OSS support in flashplayer for you

EDIT
The library compiles using the given cc command, but you'll need to do 'yum install libicu-devel openssl-devel' first

lesstwo
3rd April 2008, 07:18 PM
If it's specifically flash you are concerned about, then I recall reading that alsa is selected by default by the flash sourcecode, and you can't change it without adding a support library.

A quick google gives the link to the support library
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:Additional_Interface_Support_for_Linu x

The notes on that page say OSS support is just one component that is disabled without installing this library.

I have no experience with this myself, I hope it will fix OSS support in flashplayer for you

EDIT
The library compiles using the given cc command, but you'll need to do 'yum install libicu-devel openssl-devel' first

sideways, you are my hero. This fixed the sound issue in Flash (now I can continue to waste time on youtube), but unfortunately my system sounds are still missing. Thank you very much for you help.

If anyone else has a suggestion for getting my system sounds working (if I can somehow redirect the other sound APIs to OSS maybe?) please let me know.