PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Lighting

TypeSH
1st April 2008, 04:05 PM
Hey,

I am trying out Mozilla Lighting plugin for Thunderbird.
Initially when I downloaded the Lighting plugin, it did not work. It installed, but Lighting would not display correctly. I read a few other people had this problem and fixed it with a uninstall/reinstall. That worked.

The only problem I am having is that when I create a calendar even, then try to drag it to another day, the entire computer crashes. The CPU monitor shows 100% usage and I can't even force quit. I have to hold down the power button and restart the machine. It only happens when trying to drag a calendar even from one day to another (ie. dragging an event from March 30th to March 31st). This happens multiple times... and each time I have to reboot the computer.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone know how to fix this?
Is it normal for an application to take the entire OS down?
I'm using Fedora 8.

Hlingler
1st April 2008, 04:28 PM
IIRC, I have read several other posts about the "Lightning" extension and serious problems. Do you absolutely need it? Are there no others with similar functionality??

FF lock-up of the whole GUI is not unknown. I've seen it many times. :rolleyes: Rather than a hard re-boot, try:
ALT-CTL-F1 (or any F1 through F6) to get to a virtual terminal, log in as the user who started FF, then command:
killall firefox-bin

The return to your GUI session with: ALT-CTL-F7
If it works, FF will be gone bye-bye, and everything else will be okey-dokey. Worked well for me when needed.

V

TypeSH
1st April 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks Hlingler.
I wanted to try out an alternative to Evolution Calendar, so I decided to go with Lighting.
Sunbird is also an alternative, but Lighting is integrated with Thunderbird which is nice (having everything in one app)

Dan
1st April 2008, 05:16 PM
Hmmm.

I installed Lightning about a year ago in FC6, and wasn't impressed. <..:cool:..> I was thinking about trying it again, but it sounds like it hasn't gotten much better. I liked the Sunbird stand alone a lot better.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Dan