PDA

View Full Version : rhythmbox closes after 2 minutes

svank
1st April 2008, 02:46 AM
I've got the music applet that seems to come with GNOME on one of my GNOME panels, and use it to launch Rhythmbox. Recently, Rhythmbox has started closing after about 1:50 of being open, no matter what songs or sound formats I play, and also if I don't play anything.

In the music applet's plugin configuration screen, I can set it to launch Rhythmbox through D-Bus activation or a "rhythmbox" command. These closings only happen with D-Bus activation. The program runs fine if launched with the rhythmbox command.

Changing the way the applet launches Rhythmbox doesn't seem to change how the program runs, so it's not a problem for me anymore, but I was wondering if and where I should file a bug report about this.

This is in Fedora 8, with rhythmbox 0.11.3, dbus version 1.1.2 and the music applet is 2.3.0. Yum says all packages are up-to-date.

Thanks for any help. :)

Hlingler
1st April 2008, 05:13 AM
Hello:

You might want to look in ~/.xsession-errors to see what (if any) error messages are being puked out. If you can find any, that would help isolate the root cause of the crashes.

Oddly enough, I prefer rhythmbox as a general music player because it auto-plants itself in the system tray, even though I use KDE DE, and I have noticed no such crashes....

V

EDIT: However, I just checked my ~/.xsession-errors file, and found this:
(rhythmbox-metadata:18952): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad mpegaudioparse0:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
(rhythmbox-metadata:18952): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad mpegaudioparse0:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
(rhythmbox:18473): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad mpegaudioparse0:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
(rhythmbox:18473): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad mpegaudioparse0:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template capsWhatever that means....

EDIT #2: Yet another "error", actually occured before the other ones, but I've seen this one before:
(rhythmbox:18473): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to start mDNS browsing: MDNS service is not running

svank
1st April 2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the reply, Hlingler. Nothing is written to .xsesstion-errors by Rhythmbox. There is something written to /var/log/messages, though:

Apr 1 17:12:08 localhost dbus: avc: denied { acquire_svc } for service=org.gnome.Rhythmbox spid=2929 scontext=unconfined_u:system_r:unconfined_execmem_ t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=unconfined_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tclass=dbus

This is written no matter which method I use to start Rhythmbox, and it's always the same except for the time and the spid=#### part.

I did a bit of googling and found out avc is something with SELinux, so I disabled SELinux and the problem was gone. Disabling SELinux also fixes what I now assume is a related problem: the music applet I use to launch Rhythmbox is supposed to have play/pause buttons to control Rhythmbox, but doesn't display them while SELinux is on.

I'm now assuming the music applet uses the dbus to control Rhythmbox, but SELinux is blocking this, and is also somehow causing Rhythmbox to close after 2 minutes.

So, is this likely because something went screwy on my end, or is it something I should file a bug report on?

Hlingler
1st April 2008, 10:59 PM
Hello svank:

I have no idea, since I have never run with SELinux enabled. I believe in good security, but SELinux seems like paranoia to me, unless I was running some kind of public server/service(s), then I'd take the time to figure it out. But my guess (and it's just a WAG) is that this is not a bug, but a feature of SELinux that you could adjust, if you want.

The errors above that I get with rhythmbox are non-fatal and don't affect functionality, so, quite frankly, I blissfully ignore them.

V

svank
3rd April 2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks again for the reply, Hlingler. An update for SELinux came out in the last day or two that seems to have fixed the problem, so everything's OK now.

fakie_flip
28th May 2008, 11:22 AM
Has anyone been able to get Music Applet to work with Amarok? I try and try and try, but no luck yet.