PDA

View Full Version : Where do older kernels go?

bazzoon
27th March 2008, 05:02 PM
I have had a problem with my wireless connections since the last three kernel updates. People have similar problem and say it works with older kernels. I can not find older kernels for any of the repositories listed under /etc/yum.repo.d ! Are they removed? if yes where can we get them?

pobbz
27th March 2008, 07:51 PM
Hello.

I have no wireless my self, and know very little about wireless adapters in Fedora. However, for anyone possibly able to help you it would be beneficial if you described the problem a little more specifically. For example, how the problem manifests it self? Which wireless adapter you have? Which Fedora version? Since when (which kernel version) you've been experiencing the problems? Who else has the same problem, where has it been discussed? What driver you are using, is it open source or proprietary?

Maybe, if you provided a little more information, it would a lot likely that someone could be able to help you. You know, it's a small step for you, but a giant leap for anyone trying to help you. This way it might even be possible to find a solution that would not involve obtaining and installing an old kernel.

As for your question about older kernels, I have no idea where to get them as I think it's pretty unusual (though not unheard of) to downgrade several kernel versions. Also, if you could specify the exact kernel version you are looking for, then someone might know where to find it. Googling with the package name and version wouldn't probably hurt either.

bbfuller
27th March 2008, 09:44 PM
Hello bazzoon

Usually, yum will keep the previous kernel along with the new one you are installing and discard any earlier ones. You should then be able to choose at the grub boot menu between two kernels.

Because of Fedoras unpredictable nature I usually arrange for yum to keep more than the preset number of kernels, after all disk space is cheap.

You can dictate how many kernels are kept on your system by editing the file:

/etc/yum.conf

so that the line that reads:

installonly_limit=2

says whatever number you prefer.

Little help to you after the event.

The site belonging to the kernel maintainer here:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?buildStart=0&packageID=8&buildOrder=-completion_time&tagOrder=name&tagStart=0#buildlist

as well as listing testing and forthcoming kernels also archives a lot of old kernels and you may care to look there. Be careful as there is a mixture of binned ones and negative ones among the green ticked ones and also they are interleaved with Fedora 9 ones.

There aren't on those pages any kernel-headers or kernel-devels. It may be they are on other parts of the site.