PDA

View Full Version : Lost /

reddwarf2956
11th May 2004, 05:00 AM
It all started with the lights browning out, and the UPS not working. I get a kernal panic when booting.

I have used the disk 1 CD to boot using 'linux rescue'. After doing that, I did an fdisk and can see the partitions are still there (exit with 'q' as to not save anything). However, I can not mount them because the fstab file can not be found. I have 3 HD, hda is split with hda1 and hda2. hdb is just one partition, and hdc is split with hdc1 and the swap drive being the second. Because of the KP happening the way it does, I think the problem is a lost file. However, I don't know enough to figure out what to do now. I can not do any ls or df commands on any partition.

How to get the computer to 'see' the harddrive partitions?

John

bradthemad
12th May 2004, 12:47 AM
You don't need an fstab to be able to mount partitions from within rescue mode, just specify the device name and a directory yourself:

root@localhost# mkdir /tmp/mnt
root@localhost# mount -o ro /dev/hda1 /tmp/mnt

Before mounting anything, though, you should run fsck on each partition. If that doesn't take care of it, please post more information, like that last couple of things that happen before the panic on boot-up, what messages fsck prints out, and what happens when you try to mount the partitions.

And go buy yourself a better UPS!

reddwarf2956
12th May 2004, 04:22 AM
Ok, I fsck hda which has /boot and /iso-rtz (where I plan to leave iso's and other stuff which is compressed and needs to be backed.) So, was happy with that. But then hdb with / , it found "Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. Fix<y>? yes" which came back with
"Inode 588737 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.
Inode 588737 has imagic flag set. Clear<y>?" This is where I am right now.

bradthemad
12th May 2004, 06:47 AM
Cross your fingers and keep hitting "Y"...

reddwarf2956
14th May 2004, 02:18 PM
The good new is that I finished.
The bad new is that it is broke. The good new to that is that the other hd are seen and I can reinstall just on the one drive. The bad thing is there is a problem with the 2nd disk. Good news is that FC2 will be out soon.

:-p

John