PDA

View Full Version : which fedora to download?

devilshaven
9th March 2008, 11:45 PM
high i am a linux noob i guess, i tried ubuntu, wana try fedora too

can u tell me which file to download?
# i386 - Install DVD
# x86_64 - Install DVD? is this a 32bit also?

which one to use the live media? or teh install? need a text based installer, inspiron 1100 didn't work with ubuntu live cd install only text based alternative

reason

system 1: dell inspiron 1100 512mb shared, max 32mb for video, could not run the ubuntu live dvd for install, i had to use the text based installer so fedora might have the same issue, only 1 issue ubunto can't fix yet screen off when screen is closed is it possible fedora can fix that?

system 2: p4 3.0 32bit, nvidia graphics, and 1 gig ram, no problems here

system 3: core 2 duo no problems here

Nokia
9th March 2008, 11:53 PM
Go for i386 variant on all three systems.

devilshaven
10th March 2008, 01:14 AM
thx getting now

forkbomb
10th March 2008, 04:15 AM
high i am a linux noob i guess, i tried ubuntu, wana try fedora too

can u tell me which file to download?
# i386 - Install DVD
# x86_64 - Install DVD? is this a 32bit also?

i386 is "standard" 32-bit OS. x86_64 is, logically, 64 bit. You need a processor capable of 64-bit "long mode" to run a 64-bit OS. You can run x86_64 on the Core 2 Duo just fine if you want, but it's debatable whether there's a compelling reason to use 64-bit at this point in time. x86_64 Fedora has a pretty good reputation for stability.

which one to use the live media? or teh install? need a text based installer, inspiron 1100 didn't work with ubuntu live cd install only text based alternative

system 1: dell inspiron 1100 512mb shared, max 32mb for video, could not run the ubuntu live dvd for install, i had to use the text based installer so fedora might have the same issue,

That doesn't mean Fedora will run in text install, but I wouldn't place bets on it one way or the other.

Text only installs usually means that the "generic" video drivers couldn't be initialized with whatever card you have, so it defaults to the regular ole' text installer (some folks actually prefer them because they can be quite a bit faster on borderline systems).

only 1 issue ubunto can't fix yet screen off when screen is closed is it possible fedora can fix that?

Don't know what you're saying here... Could you rephrase that? :confused: :eek:

Anyway, go with the DVD for now if you can spare the bandwidth. I don't think the Fedora LiveCD has a text-only mode, plus the DVD has more software and can be used as a rescue disk if you need it.