PDA

View Full Version : Everything was working great --then...

camfam
24th February 2004, 05:53 AM
Everything has been working great for the last six weeks. Of course, it decides to take a dump After I FTP'd my critical data to a directory called /ftpstore I lost my X server/windows environment and my Ethernet channel won't load. I have put four (4) Ethernet cards in hoping that a change in hardware would kick it in the pants. No luck. All eth0, eth1, eth2 and eth3 FAIL on boot. (I have left them all in so when I do get it going is will become a firewall.) I believe it is due to the IP configuration somewhere even though everything looks good.

OK,... so reinstall. Not a problem but I need to get my data off first. I have a 16GB drive (hda) and a 60GB (hdb) on the system. I need to move /ftpstore to hdb then do a fresh install on hda. The embarrassing part is I know how to add a hard drive with data into an existing Fedora installation, but I don't know how to identify which physical drive /ftpstore is really on before I wipe hda leaving /ftpstore on hdb.

I need help with the following:

1. Identify the physical location of /ftpstore (hda or hdb)
2. Ensure it is moved or resides on hdb (2nd hard disk)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

Oh, I tried cdrecord but ran out of disk space making the image. AARRGGHHH!!!
:(

Bana
24th February 2004, 06:35 AM
Ouch, sounds like you need a yogurt :p
Not sure about everything else but you should be able to check you /etc/mtab and/or /etc/fstab files to see which dev your /ftpstore is on.

HTH

mhelios
24th February 2004, 07:47 AM
1. Identify the physical location of /ftpstore (hda or hdb)
How did you set up your partitions? i.e. did you let th installer auto-partition them or did you manually create your own with Disk Druid?
If you auto'd it then you'll it'll be on the / partition. Run `mount` to see where / is mounted i.e. /dev/hdaX or /dev/hdbX.

2. Ensure it is moved or resides on hdb (2nd hard disk)

To move to /dev/hdb, first identify what partitions are mounted on hdb with `mount` as above then you can simply copy the /ftpstore directory contents to a location on that disk.
For example: `mount` shows /home is mounted on /dev/hdb4. So simple issuing `cp -a /ftpstore /home` will copy it to your second hard disk.

HTH

camfam
24th February 2004, 07:58 AM
:) Thank you both. Confirmed that /ftpstore was not where I wanted it, of course. Copied it over to where I want it and going to bed with rebuild plans for tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Brian