PDA

View Full Version : Custom Gnome

brunoadm
5th March 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi, i want a program how to tweaking ubuntu for Fedora, i will install a Fedora as a Terminal for users, and i want to disabe somethings how menus, internet, double click, right click of mouse, and disable some icons in the Desktop. Someone knows how i can do it ?

Bslagowski
5th March 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not even sure what you're trying to ask. Tweaking Ubuntu for Fedora? What?!

You could install something like OpenBox. It has a right-click menu which you can customize to your liking. By default it has no panels or anything. No desktop icons unless you install something like iDesk. Uhmm .. dunno how to help with the no right click thing. Is there something specific you're trying to prevent with right click - copying/pasting?

brunoadm
5th March 2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, i want to install Linux machines for a university, and i want to secure, and minimize the options of any user can have, some copy and pastle, start a shell, or something like that. But i not find any document about how to do this. Install a linux workstation for university with max security.

EnglandA
5th March 2008, 11:56 PM
I believe you are looking for Pessulus and Sabayon, never used them but I think they allow you to use gnome as a kiosk OS.

Bslagowski
6th March 2008, 12:41 AM
http://www.linux.com/feature/62060

As England mentioned Pessulus is a tool which can probably do a lot of which you ask, all in a nice GUI. If these are just terminals you might want to consider something like Debian which is a lot more stable and will save you time updating. I'm sure Fedora would work and do the job well, it just may not be ideal. That's your call.