PDA

View Full Version : What Windows apps do you still use?

taylor65
22nd June 2004, 07:42 AM
I saw the thread about what linux apps people use. I think it'd be interesting to find out what people still use Windows for.

My list:

turbotax (yep, that's all).

ilja
22nd June 2004, 07:44 AM
I used to use skype, so now Windows can be deleted :D
And I never managed to use my ISDN-Fax with Linux.

djf_jeff
22nd June 2004, 07:56 AM
I use a remote connection just for Lotus Notes at work, I wait for the Linux port...

And for some games some times (rare, really rare)

Ug
22nd June 2004, 08:18 AM
Games and ... well games. I use crossover office with Microsoft Access at times - I can't wait for the database application which is being developed for OpenOffice 2.0.

tux2furious
22nd June 2004, 08:20 AM
Feel so ashame, my list is still long :( Reasons, I still use windows is for:

myie
-able to save flash
-able to forcefully enable right click on webpages that have disabled right click

flashget
-batch download files (able to pass in parameters for it to generate links, very useful to download pix and mp3)
-able to get the entire's page links

teleport
-download entire site

gunbound
-game

microsoft word, excel
-have a lot of password protected files that openoffice can't open

outlook express
-most my old emails are still there

palm desktop
-jpilot won't sync address book properly, it will remove my grouping
-using zire71, able to snap photos, but jpilot doesn't seem to have that option to download them

apacer mp3 thunbdrive with internal and external sd memory
-linux doesn't seem to be able to read the external sd memory

rip dvd to divx
-still haven't figure out why my dvd::rip only can rip xvid (must be missnig codec)

adobe audition
-convert audio (eg. wma to mp3)
-sound editing and recording

ilja
22nd June 2004, 08:33 AM

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18202

flashget

allready tried wget with kget and plug-ins for Mozilla?

MrWh1t3
22nd June 2004, 08:37 AM
games but im trying to just game on my xbox instead...i use grab it for windows i know about PAN but im just being lazy i guess

Ug
22nd June 2004, 09:05 AM
flashget
-batch download files (able to pass in parameters for it to generate links, very useful to download pix and mp3)
-able to get the entire's page linksI take it you haven't tried d4x (click here for more info) (http://www.krasu.ru/soft/chuchelo/)? (Downloader for X) Its a pretty good program in that vein of things, you can find an RPM for it here (http://freshrpms.net/rpm/d4x/) on FreshRPMs.
teleport
-download entire siteD4x can also download entire sites.

outlook express
-most my old emails are still thereNo reason for that one, just export your emails and import them into evolution or Thunderbird!
palm desktop
-jpilot won't sync address book properly, it will remove my grouping
-using zire71, able to snap photos, but jpilot doesn't seem to have that option to download themYou ought to try using the Gnome Pilot with a program like evolution, its normally installed by default. If you look on your fedora cds you'll also find a Gnome Pilot extras package which will allow you to download files and put programs onto your palm.
apacer mp3 thunbdrive with internal and external sd memory
-linux doesn't seem to be able to read the external sd memoryIs that one of those USB Pendrive like devices? If so then take it into windows, and reformat the whole thing into fat or fat16 not fat32. You'll be surprised that it can suddenly make them work in Linux when they should already. Don't forget to mount it like this if using FAT:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdriveWhere /dev/sda1 is the port it is connected to and /mnt/usbdrive is the mounting folder.

There the immediate few I can think of off the top of my head. But a much more comphrensive list can be found here (http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml). Its a table of Windows programs and their Linux equivalents, its pretty extensive.

Good luck with your migration!

Elfod
22nd June 2004, 11:46 AM
Just the Cisco VPN client and Lotus Notes 6. To avoid running windoze entirely I run win2k in vmware which works great for Notes.

Apparently there is a Notes client Linux but big blue are withholding it. :(

I've heard there's a Cisco VPN client for Linux but haven't tried hard to find it yet.

tux2furious
22nd June 2004, 02:13 PM
thank you Ug and ilja, i'll give all those a try...

hope i can be 100% windows free soon :)

ewdi
22nd June 2004, 02:22 PM
i'm still using dreamweaver and photoshop (under crossoffice 3 emulation)

crackers
22nd June 2004, 03:46 PM
I've heard there's a Cisco VPN client for Linux but haven't tried hard to find it yet.
Works good on FC1, I haven't tried it with the 8k-stacks kernel on FC2 yet (yes, I'm still on 2.6.5). The only issue I have with it is that, when active, it basically "suspends" your other routing - which means I lose the local network. I'm NFS-mounting a shared partition of the wife's FC1 box, so I kinda need to unmount it.

There's a project called "vpnc" that will do the same thing, but you have to squeeze the passwords out of your sysadmins - just threaten to hack it (known hacks found on Google, of course)... I haven't tried that yet.

sailor
22nd June 2004, 04:19 PM
WinXP is mainly for games also use nero, photoshop, illustrator, MS Office, dreamweaver (used Quanta for my latest webpage)...my wife will not let me remove windows she refuses to use FC...I have the kids using Win 2000...they also refuse to use FC...I am out numbered here...:(

Finalzone
22nd June 2004, 05:11 PM
Games like Final Fantasy XI. There is only Windows version as Square Enix have no plan to release Linux or Mac version.

Ug
22nd June 2004, 05:21 PM
i'm still using dreamweaver and photoshop (under crossoffice 3 emulation)Shock horror.

JonR
22nd June 2004, 10:54 PM
The only thing I still need windows for is WYSIWYG music score writing. I use Finale under WinXP. Lilypond works well but it's very much a programers solution to the task and therefore inaccesible to the other computer users in the family.

Thoreau
23rd June 2004, 03:54 AM
my novell groupwise instant messenger...*sigh* the IM server doesn't accept SSL connections, and me being just a student, well needless to say i don't pull much weight ;)

engwnbie
23rd June 2004, 04:16 AM
I still need to use Win (Mech Desktop, and programmable controller software e.g. AB RS Logix, Omron CX programmer etc.). Any one know of linux versions?

fjleal
23rd June 2004, 09:55 AM
I can't wait for the database application which is being developed for OpenOffice 2.0.
Got a link, please? I couldn't find anything related on OOo's site...

Elfod
24th June 2004, 12:52 AM
For those using VMWare, v 4.5.2 has been released. One of the new features is support for VPN software within the guest OS, which means when I'm at home doing remote support I can still browse the web in my linux host OS!

Now I can delete that dual boot partition - yay! :D

thebean
24th June 2004, 06:29 AM
Right now I mainly use Windows to read my magazines from Zinio Reader. Too bad there's no Linux port for it, and it doesn't look like there will be any time soon....

Ug
24th June 2004, 10:36 AM
Got a link, please? I couldn't find anything related on OOo's site...
It's in the 2.0 roadmap document. It's still being planned.

ghaefb
24th June 2004, 11:14 AM
I dont use windows apps because I don't use windows anymore.
And I sooooo happy with that :D I allways find linux alternative and in most cases it turns out to be better app than windows :P

Scoob_E
24th June 2004, 11:46 AM
I VNC into a windows box to test things (our office desktops are all winblows) and run the client for my office's phone system (artisoft televantage)... which for the time being there is no alternative for. But at home I am 100% linux and don't find myself even thinking about running windows

Scoob

riogrande100
26th June 2004, 01:12 AM
I use windows for Games, Dreamweaver and media. I have over 10 gig music in wma format, also use dreamweaver for web development. I will convert my music to a format that supports linux first i.e. if itunes or windows media player comes to linux, that will be the media player that i will conevrt my music to.

tux2furious
26th June 2004, 01:26 AM
replacement for dreamweaver
http://nvu.com/index.html

you can play wma in fedora
http://www.fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginnersguide.html#rpmwmaxmms

David
26th June 2004, 02:29 AM
I run a very lean windows XP for music apps only. Like JonR says, the best software is still available for Mac/Windows. Linux comes a very poor 3rd in this arena, I'm sorry to say.

For everything else I run linux.

marcos
10th January 2005, 10:51 PM
I'm still stuck to Windows because of Supermemo and Encyclopaedia Brittanica. By the way, anyone has had any success trying Brittanica in Linux through Wine or somesuch?

alyster
10th January 2005, 11:09 PM
Games, games, games!

Linux gaming support is pretty, poor, sure there are some inroads but only a handful the latest of games are supported (and I'm talking out of the sheer number of games out there). To get even the newer games running takes time and infinate patience, it is a lot easier to just fire up windows, install a game and play away. To get older games working (using Cedega for example) is also a pain in the butt.

I am using an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro in my system, ATI haven't released a driver for 2 months (3d doesnt work under FC3 (well actually more specifically with the newset version of xorg)). I know that NVidia driver support is better, but I cant afford to switch cards just so I can attempt to get a game that runs perfectly well in Windows to barely work in Linux. Plus the above was once reversed, ATI used to be the king of Linux driver support untill they couldnt be bothered anymore.

I think that as soon as gaming support (and I know that game developers are also at fault here, but remember Microsoft does supply them with a very easy framework to run games under in Windows based OSs in the form of Direct X) is mature on Linux then the market will open up a whole bunch more.

Oh yeah, and Tax software :)

n8qxb
11th January 2005, 12:22 AM
Amateur Radio programs such as MixW, Dx programs and Logging software. It's to bad all the good Amateur Radio software is written for Windows and not Linux.

kosmosik
11th January 2005, 12:31 AM
Games and ... well games. I use crossover office with Microsoft Access at times - I can't wait for the database application which is being developed for OpenOffice 2.0.
OpenOffice.org 1.x has already built in database frontend (press F4 in OOo to see it). for database server you need something like MySQL or PostgreSQL - they are far better than Access - I mean Access is OK for some trivial stuff - but this stuff usually tends to grow and grow and if it grows too much you will learn what are Access disadvantages :)

I think OpenOffice.org +MySQL is quite like Access (but lacking quick forms design via VBS - usually I do this via PHP - web based) especially with additional set of applications that MySQL is offering (MySQL Administrator, MySQL Query Designer)...

WsOuBaR
14th January 2005, 04:53 PM
I use windows @ work cause... cause ... well I don't know why :) !!!
For real I need to connect the vpn and need the AT&T network client...
If I could connect from fedora and use Lotus Notes (yeah it runs under linux.. wine I think)

I work with java development, web and integration.

I really don't need windows... at home it's just me and my fedora core 3 ( and a Kanotix cause I love Debian)

That all

taylor65
14th January 2005, 06:18 PM
you can connect to a vpn with linux (openvpn, plus some vendors like cisco provide linux clients). can't help with the rest.

Shadow Skill
14th January 2005, 07:33 PM
Mainly winamp, Irivium, Anapod, and some mass tagging tools for my audio files and the occasional game.

the_profiler
14th January 2005, 10:41 PM
heehee.. wind0ze apps? uhh.. SPSS (statistics utility).. well.. it works on my WINE.. haha.. does that one count too? :D

carlc
16th January 2005, 04:14 AM
SkrinkDVD and occassionally Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. I will usually also play games in windows but there are not any games that I currently play. I was hoping that Half Life 2 would have a new multiplayer death match game but that did not happen. :mad:

Dog-One
16th January 2005, 05:25 AM
Nero Recode 2 is the main one. I also have DataPilot for my Cell Phone which I'm working to get away from.

Unreal Tournament 2004 + mods -> Works great under Linux, and now I can use the amd64 version. :)
TeamSpeak2 -> Linux client TeamSpeak2
Outlook Express -> Thunderbird (FC3)
Internet Explorer -> Firefox (FC3)
Microsoft Office -> OpenOffice (FC3)

I use tsclient from FC3 to get to my Windows laptop (via Remote Access) and run stuff as needed.

I don't see myself as ever getting completely Microsoft free, but the trend is certainly there.

the_profiler
16th January 2005, 12:06 PM
check wind0ze apps running on Linux (frank's WINE) at a link on my blog. :p

Myra
16th January 2005, 03:21 PM
Renoise, an audio tracker.

Since I got my Playstation years ago, I never touched my PC for games any more. Japanese games are far better produced, however you have to like them.

jtang613
17th January 2005, 01:53 AM
i'm still using dreamweaver and photoshop (under crossoffice 3 emulation)

dreamweaver -> nvu http://www.nvu.com/
photoshop -> gimp-2.2 http://www.gimp.org/
coreldraw -> inkscape http://www.inkscape.org/

More Web:
- mozilla-composer
- Bluefish
- Quanta

More Graphics:
- Sodipodi
- Blender
- qCad
- ooDraw
- Dia

m2c,
Jason

BTW: I use WINE for the (very) few Windows apps that I still use (DVDShrink).

lech
29th January 2005, 06:19 PM
I use a seperate Windows box to run Cubase SE.

I use fedora off and on, doesn't matter much since I use the same programs on Windows and Linux:

- Firefox
- Gimp
- Blender
- NVU
- Gaim
- Openoffice
- Neverwinter Nights
- BillardGL
- Netbeans/JBuilder
- JDK 1.5

Lech

greatscot
29th January 2005, 06:34 PM
I don't use Windows. I switched to Linux over two years ago and never looked back... and have been thanking myself everyday since then. I am what you might call a "Linux zealot" because I would rather not touch a computer at all than use any software from Microsoft. I have also helped 41 people/families switch to Linux... just my way of making sure that M$ never has 100% of the desktop, personal, server or home markets :D

Void Main
29th January 2005, 06:37 PM
Hasn't been a Windows app in my house in over 3 years. I don't even use Windows at work. The company laptop I got boots FC3 but I do keep the original copy of Windows running in a VMware session so they can feel good about pushing viruses^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSMS updates to my machine while I am at work. :) It doesn't get used though.

JAMorgan
12th April 2005, 06:30 AM
DVD Shrink, and USB wifi adapter... Thats about it, I know that it works in wine, but I havent been abe to get it to open a DVD from the DVD drive with wine and since it looks like he source code isnt going to be released ("free beer software" not open source) it doesn't look like there will be a linux port any time soon. As for the wifi adapter im looking into getting a mini-pci card for my laptop, as I have had no luck in getting the kernel module to work correctly (I got it to compile, and loaded it at boot time, but I have no clue as to what to put in the script files).

Anyway FC is way better then Windows. Source Code will actually compile in FC where as in Visual Studio there is ambiguity. (I recently tried to compile a C++ program that utilized a class List, and Visual Studio flipped out when i tried to compile it, g++ only complained because i had no newline at the end of the file(s)).

BAshworth
12th April 2005, 06:43 AM
AutoCAD

that is all. Oh, and the whole "my wife doesn't want to switch" thing too :-)

jcstille
12th April 2005, 07:12 AM
I still write assembler code in it.

jtang613
12th April 2005, 01:35 PM
DVD Shrink, and USB wifi adapter... Thats about it, I know that it works in wine, but I havent been abe to get it to open a DVD from the DVD drive with wine and since it looks like he source code isnt going to be released ("free beer software" not open source) it doesn't look like there will be a linux port any time soon.
I've got the DVD Shrink issue tackled. You can find my solution in post #8 of thread:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47048

hth,
Jason

the_profiler
12th April 2005, 03:38 PM
oh yes.. and i forgot to post this:

i use Epson Stylus Color 580's Ink Calibrator/Catridge Remover... because AFAIK, you can't remove the ink manually.. and that's the 0.1% time I only use Wind0ze.

Or if there's a counterpart of that application/utility.. better. :D :D

haplo
12th April 2005, 08:15 PM
I have 5 computers in the house
4 windows Xp machines
1 linux fileserver, ssh server, workstation

Kids on 3 Win boxes wont use FC3 because launch.yahoo.com doesn't support linux
I still use winxp 40% of the time for
1) games
2) DVD rip, nero recode etc...
3) Sadly I use MS money for my check register still have not found a good replacement in linux.

But I watch tv on linux, tv card software stopped working on winXP works flawlessly on FC3
when I access my winXP system it is usually done through terminal server client.

Beaker01
12th April 2005, 09:24 PM
I keep a stripped down copy of W98 SE just to run Cakewalk Sonar. I've invested much time and effort (oh, and cash) in Cakewalk software over the years so I'm a little unwilling to just let it go; plus the thought of trying to get existing stuff playing happily in Rosegarden or Muse doesn't greaty appeal - I've got music to make! Now, when the Linux version of Tracktion (http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/) comes out...

I've gradually convinced myself that I'm confident enough about Linux to ditch everything else Windows (not that I was particularly confident about Windows, of course :) )

Beaker

kosmosik
13th April 2005, 12:50 AM
I saw the thread about what linux apps people use. I think it'd be interesting to find out what people still use Windows for.
in fact with projects with WINE you can run some Windows applications on Linux. :) but only Windows applications (which I run on Linux anyway) are games... and they are for entertainment - not critical stuff.

Ned
13th April 2005, 06:59 AM
Cool Edit Pro
Dreamweaver

mellis95
14th April 2005, 04:43 PM
The only apps I run on MS now are Photoshop and Cubase SX (multi-track audio recording) There is now way in hell to run a recording studio on Linux...... Someone needs to do something about this but I don't know enough to even know where to start.

AndyGreen
14th April 2005, 04:54 PM
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

mellis95
14th April 2005, 05:04 PM
One of the main reasons that you cannot run Linux in a recording studio is that professional engineers expect to use software that they know, which is Pro-Tools, Cubase, Nuendo, and RADAR mainly. If you don't have it, you don't get paid.

blacknoise
29th April 2005, 01:52 AM
all the adobe applications (after effects, illustrator, photoshop etc)... and macromedia (flash, dreamweaver etc.)