PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Box

ra[]Dture
25th February 2008, 03:24 PM
I have heard of Virtual Box. ANy one know if it will run well with Fedora 8 on 64bit?

JN4OldSchool
25th February 2008, 04:38 PM
runs great in 64 bit. However, to the best of my knowledge VB will NOT run a 64 bit client. I may be wrong here, but I havent been able to get anything to work. VMWare server will do this. I use both apps, they each have strongpoints.

This is with XP running in "seamless" mode in F8 X86_64.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=4126

sej7278
25th February 2008, 07:45 PM
i've tried xen, kvm/qemu, virtualbox and others (not tried parallels yet but i've heard the performance isn't up to vmware) as i'm looking for an alternative to vmware server in case they stick with that awful web gui thats in v2 beta.

so far i've not found anything that altogether beats vmware server 1.

virtualbox has that seamless thing and usb over rdp is nice i guess, but setting up bridging with shonky shell scripts and all that just seems a bit 1992 for me. plus the lack of 64-bit or smp. the only plus is that you can run os/2 as a guest and solaris as a host.

ra[]Dture
25th February 2008, 08:01 PM
thanks for the replys. In that I ask does it recognize the DVD/CD in the drive as a windows drive with Virtual Box? One more, how much hard disk space will I need to run Windows XP through virtual Box. I only need for a few days then I plan to uninstall it. I hate using windows but it is a need for school.

JN4OldSchool
25th February 2008, 09:32 PM
yes, CD/DVD can be mounted from inside Windows in seamless mode and regular mode and it only takews a few GB to install XP. One cool thing about VB is it allows you to create an...I forget their term...but a drive for the guest that grows as you need it. I think VB would probably be best for what you are doing. I prefer VMWare server myself, but it is a little harder to learn and the vmware tools are clunky.

sej7278
25th February 2008, 10:51 PM
vmware and vb both can mount iso images or normal dvd's and their disks grow as you use them - xp will take about 5gb.

vista seems to work better in vb, but xp is fine in vmware.