PDA

View Full Version : Make not found

senattor
19th February 2008, 02:58 AM
At the risk of sounding like a complete deutschmark, could someone please tell me why I get the error "Make not found" (the error came up when I was trying to install Mongrel and something called FastThread)...

I thought Make was one of those tools that just comes with Linux distros? Thanks for the help!

Wayne
19th February 2008, 03:04 AM
Sorry, you're a euro now :)

Go into Add/Remove Software and install the development tools. These days they're not installed by defaut.

Wayne

Iron_Mike
19th February 2008, 03:15 AM

Wayne

Ah, you kill me.... :D

Wayne
19th February 2008, 03:18 AM
Ah, you kill me.... :D

You gotta die of something :p (He says as he searches the fridge for a beer!)

Wayne

senattor
19th February 2008, 05:13 AM

Go into Add/Remove Software and install the development tools. These days they're not installed by defaut.

Wayne

Which development tools, specifically? I already have gcc installed. Is there a specific package that includes make et al? :confused:

Wayne
19th February 2008, 05:26 AM
Umm, weird. I never install any development stuff, but I just ran:

yum install make

and I was told it was already installed....

Wayne

Wayne
19th February 2008, 05:29 AM
Are you trying to install from source or this RPM:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5320439/com/rubygem-mongrel-1.0.1-5.fc8.i386.rpm.html

yum install rubygem-mongrel

Wayne

senattor
19th February 2008, 05:48 AM
Are you trying to install from source or this RPM:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5320439/com/rubygem-mongrel-1.0.1-5.fc8.i386.rpm.html

yum install rubygem-mongrel

Wayne

Nope. I was installing from gems (sudo gem install mongrel --include-dependencies)... it would get through the dependencies and then kick off a "screw you man, you don't have Make installed" error. Fortunately, yum install make worked quite charmingly, and All Is Well With The World.

Thanks for you help!!! Now it's time for me to make like a euro and increase in value! :D

scottro
19th February 2008, 05:51 AM
Y'know, Wayne, you have a yen for these money jokes. <ducks and runs>.

For the real basic stuff, you probably want something like
yum -y install make gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel

This will pull in some other things.

The yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries" will give you everything though, and probably prevent a bit of aggravation down the road.

As for make, I'm not sure what pulls it in--usually, during an installation, I choose development tools, and development libraries. If I've installed from a live CD, where I don't have that option, I usually do the shortlist I gave above, as one of the first things I want to do is get my wireless working and I need those tools to do it. (Installing the two grouplists takes quite awhile.

Wayne
19th February 2008, 05:56 AM
Hi Scott, I'm glad you feel you've got your money's worth :)

To the OP. Glad you're fixed up. Beer donations are gratefully accepted in the forum :)

Wayne