PDA

View Full Version : Login automatically with ROOT privileges

beep
20th June 2004, 03:50 AM
I'm wondering how I can login with root/su privileges as a normal user. I've tried using the "Users and Groups" applet- adding root to my group- but it doesn't give me any additional privs. And setting root as my primary groups locks the desktop icons and won't let me write to / (fs mount point). I also want to login automatically, & Fedora won't let me as the user 'root'.

I guess I'm asking is for a normal user with root privileges so I can access the various system tools/applets, yum, apt etc, without typing in a password.

ilja
20th June 2004, 04:02 AM
sudo will help you. Search for it on the internet.

crackers
20th June 2004, 05:42 AM
man sudo

Here's what I did: I added myself to the "wheel" group (yes, I was lazy and used the GUI). Then I uncommented this line in /etc/sudoers (via "visudo"):

%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Now, all I need to do is "sudo bash" and I have a root-enabled shell. That doesn't add /sbin,/usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin to your $PATH, but...

cathal
20th June 2004, 06:00 AM
Just dont, the whole point is so u wont **** up ur system by accident. If your goin to, you better start doin backups as i garantee you'll screw up ur system sooner than later.