PDA

View Full Version : Successful PPC Fedora installs?

rogerdugans
19th June 2004, 11:51 PM
Here's the deal- I helped a buddy of mine get Yellow Dog running on his G4 a few weeks ago, and now that I see Fedora for PPC I may resurrect the old mac-something he gave me to mess with a few years ago.....

Has anyone had success with the PPC version of Fedora yet?
If so, any pointers as far as problems or links to install info?

I am by no means a linux guru, but I can find my way around a bit, and can usually puzzle my way through things eventually....
I prefer to learn from the experience of others where possible though. :)

LackeyLad
20th June 2004, 03:50 AM
I researched the same topic and found that there are no bootable disc or iso files available for Fedora PPC. Now, that could not be true, I only spent a week trying to figure it out. Eventually I searched on REdhat.com and found a post saying that you needed to upgrade to Fedora PPC through yum or some other.

But, I think attention is brewing on the PPC side so as soon as a workable ppc runs they will offer the isos.

felixs
20th June 2004, 04:17 AM
I never tried running Fedora on a Mac but according to
http://osdir.com/Article833.phtml
you can do it.

Felix

._-/,_,_,,-,-,
22nd August 2004, 02:45 AM
I have an ibook 2.2 (G3, radeon 7500, airport, etc) and I have tried yellowdog 3.0.1, crux 1.4.1, gentoo, and fedora core devel (it's not really fedora core 2).

I have found fedora core to be the best OS for the ibook as far as ease of installation and use.

As far as installation issues, I was already quite experienced with the specific issues or details about running gnu/linux on the ibook before I tried fedora core.

I actually prefer slackware to fedora core because of slackware's package management but it seems there is no ppc slackware development. (slackintosh is dead)

One thing about running PPC gnu/linux is PPC binaries are not common; you need to compile a lot of stuff yourself, such as firefox, mplayer, enlightenment, etc

Ug
22nd August 2004, 08:40 AM
*ponders how your username was valid*

plbowler
12th October 2004, 02:37 PM
running YDL 3.1 on an "OldWorld" powerbook G3 Wallstreet 266.

you have to keep OS 9 in order to run BootX , unfortunately this means I'm left with 1.5 gigs of space to run YDL, the install (No Office, No Dev) is 1.1 Gig, leving me less than 400 meg of HD space...

I'm haveing trouble changing the Resolution Back to 1024Xxxx (I accidently changed it) and I think the PCMCIA wireless setup is gonna be rough, plus I can't seem to start Mozilla, other than that...

LaKing
11th February 2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Folks ...

i can confirm Fedora runs on apple Macs.

For the test i installed fedora Core 3 on a G4 733 mhz.

No problems with the installation (exept that automatical partitioning didnt work)
No problems with network.
No problems with running.
Only strange thing now is that X wont start in 1024x1280 atm.

Cheers ...

salpula
21st February 2005, 05:00 PM
It ran GREAT on my ibook. . . I haven't reinstalled it because my hard drive was bad even before the install and I just haven't had a chance since I got it back from apple lawst week. It ran better than osx which couldn't handle the fact that some of the hard drive had bad blocks. The only thing that really sucks (and this is tru about all distros currenly) is the fact that there is no airport extreme support. In fact. . . i may re-install that today. If you install it please read this site. And read it again, and again. Then remember you might have to figure a couple things out on your own. Its not the easiest install but I think its worth it for fedora in my ibook.

salpula
21st February 2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html -- thats the site. its a good basic walkthrough of the install

Omer22
27th February 2005, 12:52 AM
I've got a homemade g3 using an apple mobo and chip, I've built it into a sony trinatron monitor, and flashed a video card for it. its built from a beige oldworld G3 and it runs OS X.2.8 fine, anybody know if Fedora will work?

LaKing
15th March 2005, 11:03 AM
Hi...

HOWTOs are on another thread

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18175

leaded
17th March 2005, 05:23 AM
I'm still downloading the FC4T1 iso, but I downloaded and ran the Ubuntu 5.04 LIVE cd today. It took a while to boot, as expected, but it looks great, and even got my Airport card working without any problems. Anyway, not to shy away from Fedora, because I'm a Fedora fan, but keep an open mind, and check out Ubuntu PPC. It's got a lot of things going for it.

[ http://releases.ubuntu.com/hoary/ ]

jamdusr
19th March 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm still downloading the FC4T1 iso, but I downloaded and ran the Ubuntu 5.04 LIVE cd today. It took a while to boot, as expected, but it looks great, and even got my Airport card working without any problems. Anyway, not to shy away from Fedora, because I'm a Fedora fan, but keep an open mind, and check out Ubuntu PPC. It's got a lot of things going for it.

[ http://releases.ubuntu.com/hoary/ ]

Hi, Just asking for clarification. You got ubuntu to work with the older airport card-correct?
Because at the ubuntu site they claim it's not possible to get airport extreme (AE) working
Broadcom won't release the code or something like that.
I would love to get linux fully working on an ibook/powerbook but another option might be
(for anyone interested) http://www.darwinports.org/

leaded
20th March 2005, 05:08 AM
I have old school AirPort. Sorry for the confusion.

19th June 2005, 11:42 AM
I did install Fedora Core 4 on a iMac G5 and all went well UNTIL....
I got to the login screen (on a 20" iMac G5) and then everything froze solid!!
Not ANY key comb used on a iMac worked.
Did anyone had the same experience and if so might have found a solution??
Any info is welcome!!

websavages
19th June 2005, 12:44 PM
i have fed core 4 running on a mini mac, with no keyboard or mouse, as a server. sweet as!

the only issue i had with installation was the vertical refresh rate during installation. this can be solved by running
linux video=ofonly instead of just plain ol' linux

Cheers ws

19th June 2005, 12:58 PM
thanks websavages!!!

just got to find out how to ommit anaconda to get into text-mode
been running FreeBSD for years and that was just a piece 'o cake
you go to a ttys2? (alt+ctrl+F2)?

websavages
20th June 2005, 10:05 AM
to install in text mode i think it is

linux text

and as for changing terminal i again think (ouch that really does hurt) it's ctrl+F1-F4 for the four terminals and ctrl+shift+F7 for x

Cheers ws

20th June 2005, 11:40 AM
Well, tried that, but FC4 is VERY unforgiving, regarding hdd-partitions.
That would mean that I lose the Mac OS X installation (have part of 58GB (4x) each)
I know that SuSE is the ONLY distrib which has NON DESTRUCTIVE REPARTITIONING!!!
FC4 is complaining not regonizing the hfs-partitioning from MacIntosh :mad:

Wonder if yaboot is similar to FreeBSD login manager (to give it a name)

Tried diff resolutions (640x480; 800x600; 1024x768;) but still same result.
Ah well.... just have to find out if other people got the same problem.
G5 PPC is 64 bit and thought it would run 32 bit as well; apparently not?

websavages
20th June 2005, 11:54 AM
the partitioning issue rings a bell, i wiped my whole hard drive clean created a single unformatted partition with the mac disk utility, then install fedora core 4 test 3 (because the official version was moaning about the hard drive (bug in parted apparantly)) and then upgraded with anaconda

Cheers ws

JLF_65
27th June 2005, 01:26 AM
If you already have partitions created, just select "Partition manually using DiskDruid" at the proper point. In DiskDruid, select the partition you wish to use for FC4 and click "edit". Set the mount point to "/" and tell it to format the partition as type ext3. Select the partition you wish to use for swap and click "edit". Set it to format as swap. If you don't have the partitions already created, boot the OSX disc and use it's disk utility to make the partitions. That will present the least danger of killing the OSX partition.

I was able to get FC4 installed on my iMac DV+ just fine that way. Nice dual-boot between FC4 and 10.3.8. :D

27th June 2005, 11:05 AM
Wow, thats great!! The only problem I got is, before, I could install the whole distrib and getting as far as the login-screen. Then EVERYTHING FROZE!! Couldn't get even out with Ctrl+Command+Eject.
What did you use as resolution? I used 1600x1250 and all the way down to 640x480!! Still the same reaction which at that point I began to think that a power pc processor is very unforgiving!
Been running FreeBSD for years which is actually a piece of cake regarding installing and upgrading.
Could you, if you feel like, enlighten me a bit more regaring installation? I would be VERY greatfull!!
Running MacIntosh for the 1st time in my life (iMac 20") I know now what I have been missing all those years!!!

JLF_65
27th June 2005, 08:49 PM
Like I said, it's an iMac DV+, so I used 1024x768. That was the default it came up in by the way, but I wouldn't use a different res on an older iMac as the screen just isn't big enough for anything higher.

I think that certain models are just more picky, and the ppc guys haven't had enough time to work out all the models. My model iMac works great, but someone else had trouble with the next model down. That sort of thing will get better in time. A 20" iMac is a G4 model, right? I've heard of more trouble with G4 models than anything else so far.

My iMac is a G3. I used DiskDruid on pre-existing partitions like I mentioned, then did a custom install, selecting almost everything. After that, it was just install as usual with FC.

One suggestion - I've seen trouble with video drivers that caused freezes like you describe. You might try setting the driver to vesa and see what happens. Right after the first part of the install where it says to click the button to reboot, instead press Ctr-Alt-F2 for a console. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver to "vesa" instead of whatever it is. Press Ctr-Alt-F7 to get back to the Installer GUI and click reboot. If that then reboots and gets past the login, you might check for updated drivers for your video card. While you're editing the driver, you could also change the resolution in the conf file as well.

29th June 2005, 06:15 AM
No my iMac is a iMac G5 64 bit processor 20" screen. Well... probably have to wait a while and see how development is going. The one thing that bogs me is that, after installing FC4, I get to the login-screen and then all freezes; can even type my login-name.
So, with all due respect, its no use telling me that it runs ok on a G3 or G4 PPC because its not relevant to my question.

JLF_65
29th June 2005, 10:21 PM
Yep. G5's are a new beast. It'll probably be awhile before they work as well on G5's as older Macs. I didn't notice a few posts up where you mentioned briefly that you have a G5. :D By the way, G5's should run 32bit just fine. That's probably not the problem. Given the incredible speed-up compared to older Macs, I would guess initially that someone was doing some busy-loop timing that's failing on the G5.

barneylaughs
7th July 2005, 01:06 AM
I'm having a really hard time getting FC4 installed on my iMac G3 233MHz. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with partitioning, but I'm not sure. Everytime it gets to the "About to install" page, and I click next, it comes up with an error saying that it cannot allocate memory. I have tried wiping clean the HDD with Apple's Disk Utility, but the install still fails. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to Disk Druid, so I'll try what you said, JLF_65. Maybe that'll help.

JLF_65
7th July 2005, 09:53 PM
Given you have partitioned the drive in Mac OSX, when DiskDruid runs, it shows the already partitioned drive. You can click on a partition, then click Edit to change it. What you want to change is the mountpoint and the format. Don't try changing the size. Don't try adding partitions. Making the number of partitions you want at the desired size is what you do with the OSX Disk Utils. Just use DiskDruid to set the mountpoint and format.