PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Broken [SOLVED]

V.8mr
14th February 2008, 06:38 PM
Well i dont know how i did it but when i login to GNOME i see only the wallpaper, no icons or panels. After searching arround i tried to,

yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"

followed by

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

All went well but the original problem remains!

Any and all help is appreciated. I use KDE all the time and it works fine, but again when i login to GNOME i see nothing except the wallpaper.

Dan
14th February 2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds like Nautilus isn't loading.

V.8mr
14th February 2008, 06:48 PM
Sounds like Nautilus isn't loading.

do you care to elaborate a little???!!!

Dan
14th February 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure how much it's going to help. Back when I was using RH9, a borked USB CD-ROM drive was not detected properly on bootup, so Gnome would load, giving me everything except nautilus. However, KDE seemed totally unaffected. Unfortunately, rather than chase down the exact cause, I simply upgraded to FC5.

Therefore, I can tell you I've seen this before, but not why. Wasn't that I was trying to be cryptic, that's just all I've got to give you. Might be a blind alley, might not.

It also bumped this thread back up to the top of the rotation. <..:cool:..>

Dan

leigh123linux
14th February 2008, 07:48 PM
Try creating a new user account and see if it works

V.8mr
14th February 2008, 07:52 PM
I will, but logging in as either root or my usr account its the same.

Dan
14th February 2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe check dmsg for anything that failed to load?

V.8mr
14th February 2008, 08:10 PM
no adding another user does nothing.

HALP!

joe.pelayo
14th February 2008, 09:10 PM
I have come across this problem too, but only when using Fedora (the liveCD actually) in an underpowered system.

Did you interrupt an update? (last night there was a huge one BTW).

clay247
14th February 2008, 09:36 PM
I hate to be that guy, but screw it. Use XFCE or KDE bro, they're way better in my humble opinion.

C

Bslagowski
14th February 2008, 09:53 PM
I had a similar problem in another distribution some time ago which was solved by deleting the .gnome folder. However, if you're having this issue on all user accounts I dunno if that would work ... :/

V.8mr
14th February 2008, 10:55 PM
I didn't interrupt an update. I use KDE explicitly but gnome should work as well. Just because i don't use it doesn't mean i don't want it to work.

V.8mr
15th February 2008, 01:06 AM
ohh and by the way i cant do anything once logged in. I can shell out and Ctrl Alt Backspace to get back to the login screen but thats it. PLEASE HALP!!!

bob
15th February 2008, 04:51 AM
No real solution, but I'd consider filing a Bugzilla on the problem if you're the first to report it. Something broke and even if you don't know exactly what, perhaps you can help the developers dig into it a bit. Then too, if you've backed up your data, I'd seriously consider reinstalling. It's fun to break things and put them back together. That's how we learn, but if you want/need Gnome, then you'll save time and frustration by dumping it all and starting fresh. You've probably noticed that there are not a lot of others with the problem, so I doubt you'll face it again on a reinstall.

Wayne
15th February 2008, 05:10 AM
I hate to be that guy, but screw it. Use XFCE or KDE bro, they're way better in my humble opinion.

C

Right and it's just your opinion and just the type of post to start yet another DE flame war and does nothing to help the OP with his problem.

Wayne

leigh123linux
15th February 2008, 12:33 PM

C

No one was asking for your opinion :rolleyes: ( so in future keep your opinions to yourself )

V.8mr
15th February 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanx guys. I don't really have a problem with the reinstall, but i would much rather try and get to the root of the problem. Its too easy to just reinstall. But then again if i cant find a solution then i suppose i will not have a choice. I have this thread in 3 other Linux forums so I'm gonna give it a little time first.

clay247
15th February 2008, 04:32 PM
I agree, a reinstall is drastic. You could delete the .gnome2_private .gnome2 dirs in your homespace, but that could hose gnome apps you use in KDE too. Back them up first and then delete them.

I'm getting hated on a lot so you might not want to listen to me.

V.8mr
16th February 2008, 01:28 AM
well i reinstalled fedora :(

I was aggravated to the point that i felt like i had no choice. What i should have tried that many of you recommended was to delete the .gnome file in my home directory. But it works now. THANX GUYS

Dan
16th February 2008, 01:38 AM
I'll close this and mark it solved then.

Thread closed.