PDA

View Full Version : grub booting two distros

kaykav
14th February 2008, 05:01 AM
Good Evening,
Im in a situation,temporarily,until I get an answer. I installed Mepis7.0 on a clean disk partition #1. It went very well. Then I installed Fedora 8 on the second partition .The installation went as well.
I installed grub to the MBR on the first partition. Some how I must have clicked the wrong option. Nontheless
I now can only boot into Fedora (second parttion). Both distros are intact, but 'no boot' to Mepis. I don't have an option in the boot menu, for Mepis. I feel that there might be a solution to my prob. Thank you...Rich :rolleyes:

LordMorgul
14th February 2008, 05:12 AM
There is a solution, but its either going to take manually running grub-install from your mepis setup, or manually editing your grub.conf in fedora.

You can find the grub configuration at /boot/grub/grub.conf or the same file at /etc/grub.conf which is a symlink. You have two options:
1- setup grub on the MBR which can boot your mepis kernels, and grub again setup on the second partiion for Fedora (using a chainloader from the first grub to the second)
2- setup grub on the MBR which has all boot options for both distros

Option 2 is probably more difficult to setup. What you did was install grub to your MBR when you installed Fedora and you should have probably installed it into the second partition (these are different). You would normally want one setup in the MBR and one grub setup in the partition for this situation.

So I suggest option 1. You'd want to get the rescue or install cd for mepis, and boot to the rescue environment, then run grub-install directly from there (installing to the MBR). Next you get back into the Fedora rescue cd environment and install grub to your second partition. Finally, you go back to the Mepis grub config and add a chainloader setup to allow you to choose to go from the mepis grub to the fedora grub. That is the method that will be less likely to get screwed up later with updates to both distros.

stevea
14th February 2008, 05:22 AM
You can do it with a couple lined to the fedora /boot/grub/grub.conf

Add:
title Mepis
configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst
--
That's my guess as to where the menu.lst is on mepis. You can go to a grub prompt (interrupt it at boot) and "findfile" command.

LordMorgul
14th February 2008, 05:28 AM
stevea, good point, that would save two grub-installs if that location is correct.

kaykav
14th February 2008, 05:30 AM
Once again Im impressed with all the info out there...Thank you for a quick response......Rich