PDA

View Full Version : Need Installation tips

phoxis
11th February 2008, 06:54 PM
I often install Fedora (and Remove Windows) on my friend's , teacher's and relative's computers after convincing them, and telling them about linux.

Now a lot of ppl have low config systems.

Like i am soon going to install Fedora 8 in My Teacher's House system
He is going to test it and discuss about it with the School Authority (My Ex-School)
And if it is good then we will have Windows 2000 kicked out of 30 more systems in a School
(and more if bought more).

Now ,i have seen that new linux users are very very sensitive and compares all things to windows, ,,one -ve comparison ,,, and linux is a BAD OS in their view.. or "it can also be done with windows" or "we get better than than in windows"
and some more horrible question like "is there any gui in linux?"
or some smart guy confident statement "linux dosent has graphics like windows"

I tackle those matters, cause all belive me what i say ,and i dont say anything wrong and if i dont know it i tell "i dont know"

Leave the above rubbish talks aside , those were for to present you with the hell situation here.

Now if i install fedora 8 in a machine with Pentiunm 4, 1.8GHz 256MB SD RAM (dont know the clk and latency)

And 40GB HDD in where windows will also there (he wants to keep both)

so what to you tell , what should be the package selection
partition strategy
and optimisation for best and smooth performance.

fmartinez
11th February 2008, 09:13 PM
Your 1st thought should be partition stragedy... how room are looking to dedicate from those 40 gigs. Remember you need unallocated space so you'll have use a partitioner to free up some space like gparted.
After that you do a full in stall of FC8... it usually takes less that 5gigs for a full install (open office, music players, gui..... etc).
When you install FC8 it will take care of multi boot option... i usually install grub on the mbr which has always worked for me....
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA ESPECIALLY WHEN WORKING ON SOME ELSES MACHINE.
these tutorials are pretty helpful as well http://www.fedorafaq.org/
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/

bbfuller
11th February 2008, 09:18 PM
Hello phoxis

You may find 256MB of RAM a bit on the lean side there, just be prepared in your own mind before you go to install that you may have to do it text mode. It always looks better if you are not surprised at anything that happens during installation.

That 256MB is also a bit lean for running Gnome or KDE smoothly so XFce as a desktop is a possibility. You'll have your own preference for desktop based on what you have done before but KDE is more familiar to Windows users who are dubious about making a change.

That said, I've got KDE and Gnome working smoothly in 384MB of memory with a full graphical install on a machine with an Athlon 1800+ so it may all work well.

As to the disk space, it really does depend on what he uses the machine for now and how quickly he is accumulating data. If he is taking digital photographs and storing them on hard disk his 40GB is going to look a bit small.

Defragment the Windows disk and use something like GParted to shrink the size of the Windows partition. Unless he is going to be storing a lot of data on Linux from the outset you only need to shrink the size of the windows partition by about 5 or 6 GB. That will leave more than enough space for a standard Linux installation with KDE and Gnome and the opportunity to add some more programs according to his taste. Though with both KDE and Gnome installed you'll probably have more than enough to be going on with.

Tell him that it's an testing installation and that you can do him a proper one later with more space if he decides to use it seriously. After all, if he takes a bit of time to make up his mind you may find that Fedora 9 is available for his proper install.

When you come to do the install, just tell the installer to use the free space that you have created on the disk and let it do its own partitioning.

phoxis
12th February 2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks "fmartinez" and "bbfuller"
Thanks for spending the time.
Please clear me some more things, please read the below.

fmartinez...
For the data backup, i am always carefull and proffesional about serious data,espechally when i work on other's system, and i am going to take a backup in my iPod.
And i do use Gparted for partition, i also have a partition magic in that boot . I liked you adviced me to install ALL the features. But i think i can save some space with not installing ant server features (do i think right?) he dont have any internet connection.

bbfuller...
I think i might travel through the full installation without any hangups, in GUI installation mode.
If it was my system i have gone into CUI for shure, but the problem is hes going to see the installation screen. and there might be a confusion and a rumor like "linux is very hard to install"
as i told you before, (just today a friend came to my place , i showed him compiz effects , he couldnt beleve and he insisted that it was vista)
Still i think i should go for the CUI as my ir is not from the common windows guy.
But for general , like friends i think if i start GUI install it would be good.

Please tell while installation , in which part the installation may hang, the set of packages, as i may omit then , and install them later.

As for the Desktop Interface , I preffer to introduce all to KDE , but i know that KDE 3.5 is a bit heavy on system, KDE4.0 tells is 40% lighter.. but have to wait till F9 launch to get the bundle.

If i go for KDE 3.5 then how to make minimum system usage.

For the Diskspace, he has a little data in the 40 Gig HDD cause he only stores his work documents, Phd works , school Question papers and a lot of VERY VERY important things. which size less than 15Gigs and he has one partition empty so , i need not resize the partitions, just to make the last one ext3.

With 256MB Ram how much SWAP do you preffer, as i think should i allocate 512MB for Swap?

For the question of f9 ,, here every body (i mean the ppl who really WORKS in the system , not monkey around , play games , and all) Dont want any upgrades,, they use a version till it i getting his job done , when an app fails to get their job done they ask about the next edition ,, but not the latest..

So i need to give him the stablemost thing.

And for mp3 playback capibility, livna packages are okay , and i have already made an offline repo for them.

for video,, the videos play very bad in my machine, may be i dont have the proper codec, when i fullscreen , the fps drops and alls slow mo , some times with some codecs , the video gets horrible.

Can you tell , which exact codec and exact package i need to get video running in fedora players (mplayer , kplayer, totem ,etc) like PowerDVD or equivallent.

I dont think theyre going to get Fedora FULLY installed and windows FULLY uninstalled.

Last topic

The main thing,, the system services.

Need tips to get the list of services which i need to enable to get the system in a run, and which not.
like the smartcard terminal , bluetooth , should be disabled,
Please tell me the minimum most , possible services enabled.
so the system runs smoothly. Please include X server in it , as anyone would kick me outside if i tell him to work in unix (nobody knows (the ppl here) what you can do with linux shell).

I will wait for a reply.

fmartinez
12th February 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks "fmartinez" and "bbfuller"
Thanks for spending the time.
Please clear me some more things, please read the below.

fmartinez...
For the data backup, i am always carefull and proffesional about serious data,espechally when i work on other's system, and i am going to take a backup in my iPod.
And i do use Gparted for partition, i also have a partition magic in that boot . I liked you adviced me to install ALL the features. But i think i can save some space with not installing ant server features (do i think right?) he dont have any internet connection.

What I would do during the install is choose the option to "Customize Now" and look through the packages that are going to be installed. The Select/Deselect the packages you dont want.... That would be the best option.

leadgolem
12th February 2008, 10:00 PM
Why not just use the livecd install?

EDIT: Speaking of which, does his system have a dvd rom drive?

bbfuller
12th February 2008, 11:28 PM
Hello phoxis

Think a bit about what your user is likely to want to use before your install and particularly so if you were thinking of using a live cd.

If you use the kde live cd you don't get open office or firefox installed unless you add them over the internet afterwards.

If you have a dvd on the machine you are installing on then I would go for that option - but remember that many of the early DVD drives (those produced before DVD-R and RW became widespread) won't read burned DVD's.

I personally wouldn't bother with trying to modify the installation except that if I were using the DVD I would add KDE to the standard Gnome install. That way your user will have available the best of both the Gnome and KDE packages to choose from.

You may save some space by choosing packages but you say space isn't a problem and if you go for a 10GB linux area you will have more than enough space for both desktops and their packages.

Although the available RAM is a bit on the low side the processor speed is quite decent, I run Fedora on a couple of machines in the 1.6-1.9 GHz range and so unless you are really certain you want to I wouldn't bother with shutting down services. I don't and the machines are quite speedy. Certainly more responsive than Windows on a 2.4GHz processor.

Swap is generally reckoned at twice memory but with so little of the latter, you might want to push swap up a bit.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to introduce anyone to KDE4 it certainly has its limitations at the moment. Maybe it will be better before Fedora rush it into the front line, I hope so.

I think you will find DVD/Video playback is going to be governed by the quality of the graphics chipset in the machine and you getting the proprietary drivers in place if it is nVidia or ATI. Certainly I've had decent DVD playback on an 1100MHz Duron before now but it had an nVidia graphics card in it, not a particularly good card but at least it was accelerated graphics.

sidebrnz
13th February 2008, 02:12 AM
256Meg is enough for a graphics install. I know, because that's what I have. However, it will ask to initialize swap as soon as you're done partitioning it as it will need it. Gnome will work, but don't be surprised if it's a tad slow.

phoxis
14th February 2008, 06:23 PM
Currently he dont have a DVD drive , but he is going soon buy one.

I have got the views, i will select packages when the installation is being done..Now i am just waiting , when he buys the DVD drive, and calls me.

I will inform about what's happened.

I have another Question , this one is trickey.

Where i am going to install the Fedora is my Teacher's Home, he teaches in the school where i used to read. (passed out at 2007)

I Talked about installing Linux in all of the school's computers.

So which distro should you preffer?

JN4OldSchool
14th February 2008, 06:34 PM
Depends on what the school computers are used for.

To teach Linux: I think Fedora would be an awesome choice. In fact, I think it would be the best. But...You would need someone onsite who knows Fedora fairly well. Whoever is doing the teaching would have to have good knowledge of this distro.

For general school use such as running educational software and use as a word processor or spreadsheet: Debian stable.

phoxis
14th February 2008, 06:52 PM
Nothing special in school.
Teachers make a lot of slide shows,docs , has internet, nothing of BIG Load
CD DVD access, good video playback (for viewing documentaries) etc.

I am using fedora for some time (4 months), i may give minimal support.
But i need to find a professional before i make myself an expert.

I have Debian (3DVD) , is it like fedora (redhat) i mean the commands, so i may suggest that too.

What do you think about Ubuntu

JN4OldSchool
14th February 2008, 07:07 PM
debian IS like Fedora. The only real difference is it is .deb instead of .rpm. Debian stable is much more stable than the Fedora release (you would have to go to CentOS or Scientific Linux or even RHEL to match the debian stability.) and probably has more packages available in its repos. It uses apt-get and synaptic instead of yum. Overall, it is meant for what you are talking about.

I would steer clear of Ubuntu, not because it sucks or anything, it is actually a GREAT distro. But I see it more for the home desktop. It is like the odd man out in the Linux world, debian is generic Linux. Keep in mind that this is just all MY opinion, I am hardly an expert. I am sure Ubuntu would work wonderfully if that is what the school wanted to use. I would stay away from Fedora for anything except a learning platform though. It just updates too fast and the life cycle is too short. Again, a great desktop, but probably not the best distro for what you have in mind.

phoxis
15th February 2008, 11:45 AM
Update is not the priority, whenever we can get the job done, even with a very old version , its ok.
So nothing to update so fast.

How about Sabayon .. i have a Sabayon DVD, it says its a very good distro, made proffessionaly.
(i cant install it and test cause i get a monitor out of range problem while installing)

Please tell me about Suse too.

Which one is the most used/no.1 distro ? till now (informational purpouse)

Another Thing is.

If i make separate partitions of /(root) /usr /boot and /home

except the /home how much space should i allocate for the others? And should i make different mount points? and if yes, which directories should i mound in different partitions?