PDA

View Full Version : "su gui" for gnome?

zulaica
19th June 2004, 06:43 AM
one of the nice things about kde that i miss in gnome is the "administrative tools" (i believe it was called) menu. the best part was there was an entry for a file browser with root/admin privilages. launch the application, type in root password, off you go hosing your system! ;)

seriously tho, i miss this. i am not comfortable with vi by any stretch of the imagination and, quite frankly, don't have the time to learn it (although i do plan to as time permits). also kde itself is not installed, but the kde/qt libs are as well as a few apps (k3b, etc).

basically, i'm asking if there's a native gnome version of what kde has. perhaps an argument that can be passed? "$ nautilus --run-as-root"? it's annoying to have to log out, log in as root, then log back in. :confused:

thanks!
david

zulaica
19th June 2004, 06:49 AM
nevermind. figured it out.

"$ su -c nautilus"

:D

ilja
19th June 2004, 06:49 AM
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/matt_hansen/nautilus/ is it what you mean?

zulaica
19th June 2004, 06:52 AM
thanks ilja! that's exactly what i was looking for. :)

Zotter
20th June 2004, 10:53 AM
You could also go 'lite' by using:

su -c gedit <filename>

Likely a bit faster, snappier.

zulaica
20th June 2004, 10:56 AM
yeah, i figured that out as well. thanks, zotter.

it is faster and snappier, especially if i just want to edit. but it's nice having the nautilus way as well... get to move files around much easier... well, at least for me. :D

shtik
20th June 2004, 11:56 PM
i'm using ssh for opening my filebrowser (rox) with root priviliges:

ssh -X -l root localhost "rox -n $*"

when started outside of a terminal (i.e. from desktop) it will give you a graphical login screen, no need for a terminal! for nautilus simply replace "rox -n" with whatever you want ...

shtik