PDA

View Full Version : dell inspiron modem how-to?

SharpyWarpy
9th February 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi, everybody.
I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 lappy that I'm setting up for a neighbor. I've installed Fedora Core 4 and I want to get the modem to work. It's an Intel motherboard, here is the output from "lspci":
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE Host-to-AGP Bridge (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB/ER Hub interface to PCI Bridge (rev 82)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4510 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
0000:02:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCI4510 IEEE-1394 Controller

From what I've gleaned so far from the net I need to compile slmodem, so I downloaded slmodem-2.9.11-20070422.tar.gz, I installed the kernel-devel package from the Core 4 cds, but I'm not sure this is what I need to compile this module because kernel-devel is only 4.9mb, I haven't tried it yet because I'd like to know first if anyone has been through all this.
By the way, I also downloaded and installed slmodem-alsa-2.9.9d-0.lvn.1.4.i386.rpm from the livna site in optimistic anticipation of getting the right driver source and getting it compiled, apparently it has a daemon that works with the kernel module. Any input will be humbly appreciated.
EDIT
Here's an update. I compiled the module without problems, when I ran "modprobe slamr" it seemed to load okay, "lsmod |grep sl" showed it, but when I ran "slmodem /dev/slamr0" or using any other /dev/slamr device I got "error: mdm setup: cannot open dev '/dev/slamr0': No such device" even though "ls -l /dev/slamr0" shows it's there. At this point I did "dmesg | tail" and got
slamr: Smartlink AMRMO modem.
slamr: device 8086:24c6 is grabbed by another driver
This after the "modprobe slamr"
So my question is ... Huh?
EDIT
Okay, I rebooted and the kernel module and slmodemd loaded fine. After all that the modem is no good.
So I guess my next question is does anybody know of a usb modem that works with Fedora Core 4 and this laptop? I have Core 7 too, I just don't think I need to install it on this laptop. I've got a Hiro brand usb modem, it's recognized but I can't tell anything about what chip it uses, I loaded slusb and it didn't do anything.

Zotter
10th February 2008, 12:28 AM
First thing I'd do is *NOT* install Fedora Core 4

Get Fedora 8 - it's more likely to have the parts you want to get this modem to work.

After installing F8 - I'd check out this page: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

and maybe this one - depending: http://www.linmodems.org/

SharpyWarpy
10th February 2008, 07:04 PM
Okay, the onboard modem in the Inspiron was dead so i tried the Hiro usb modem.
I found the drivers on the installation cd, there are several directories there for fedora, suse and some others. I couldn't get them to load so i recompiled them and they loaded fine. I changed the appropriate settings in /etc/ppp/options and rebooted. Fine, the modem was detected and the driver installed, i started the ppp daemon okay, but when i tried to start a connection it timed out, saying the connect script failed.
But here's where it gets weird:
I have a desktop pc that i boot windows 2000, fedora core 4 and core 7, i booted windows 2000 and installed the w2k drivers and the modem did the same thing, it timed out and said the user name and password were invalid. I knew that was not right after triple checking my username password, and all the other settings. So I booted core 4, compiled the drivers for the Hiro usb modem there, installed 'em, rebooted it to core 4, changed all the appropriate settings in /etc/ppp, started pppd, tried to connect and it connected fine, just like it's supposed to. I downloaded some mail, surfed the net a little, hung up. Redialed, worked fine, did this several times.
So I guess my question now is why does the modem work on my desktop pc and not the lappy? It's the same driver, same distribution of linux, Fedora core 4, i even swapped the kernel modules from the working pc to the lappy with no success, make sure all the permissions were the right ones, made sure i'm running the same ppp version. I'm getting so close it's hilarious, could someone please help me get this poor lappy over the top?
PS: Imagine that, a usb modem that works with linux and NOT windoughs.

joekrahn
30th April 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm using Fedora 8, and the slmodem package from livna. It seems to work, except that sound is dead while the modem driver is running, because modem sound processing and audio sound is in the same chip. So, it is worth avoiding the built-in modem even if it is possible to make it work.

As for the USB modem, there are many ways for PPP connections to fail other than modem problems. The thing to do is use minicom and try running the modem with AT commands. You should be able to dial the ISP and connect, after which you may or may not see a prompt. If that works, the problem is more likely from the PPP config than the modem.

SharpyWarpy
30th April 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm using Fedora 8, and the slmodem package from livna. It seems to work, except that sound is dead while the modem driver is running, because modem sound processing and audio sound is in the same chip. So, it is worth avoiding the built-in modem even if it is possible to make it work.

As for the USB modem, there are many ways for PPP connections to fail other than modem problems. The thing to do is use minicom and try running the modem with AT commands. You should be able to dial the ISP and connect, after which you may or may not see a prompt. If that works, the problem is more likely from the PPP config than the modem.
I got the Hiro modem working, I had to install usbutils, it was installed on the pc but not the lappy, works fine now.