PDA

View Full Version : PPC Linux

LackeyLad
18th June 2004, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know what files to download from the Fedora Site for PPC Linux. In another thread i described my computer and would like to run a PPC Fedora System on it.

Any help on what files i download and how i boot them would be appriciated. Thank You.

Also, I may use this thread as i continue with the ibook's progress. I see trouble ahead.

Please help, thanks.

Ug
18th June 2004, 12:29 PM
Oh dear god. Looks like time to open a PPC forum.

Ug
18th June 2004, 12:32 PM
And there ya go - a brand spanking new forum for your PPC problems.

LackeyLad
18th June 2004, 01:48 PM
awsome ug.

be ready for some serious debate becuase i lost my mac OS cd and so making this work will be hard.

So, heres the outlook.

Step 1 -> download correct files and burn to disk.

Step 2 -> figure out how to config mac so i can erase OS 8.6 without mac disk and run fedora.

Any ideas??

Ug
18th June 2004, 07:44 PM
None. I'm afraid

LackeyLad
19th June 2004, 02:20 AM
Perhaps I'll just download everything!

YDL looked to not be a free download, that is why i didnt go YDL. I'd really like to test out this Fedora.

Somebody must know!

I'll start wasting discs downloading the files and trying to figure this all out.

LackeyLad
19th June 2004, 03:51 AM
Appearently you must have a pre-installed PPC software and then upgrade to the fedora files.

So, i will look to YDL and Suse for PPC distros, which i hope are free. Then after that i will come back and hope to upgrade to fedora.

Please notify me if installable iso discs come out for fedora PPC.]

Thanks.

rogjones
19th June 2004, 04:18 AM
Check here (http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=12) for Yellow Dog 3.0.1 images. I am also preparing to attempt to try to load Fedora on my G3.

LackeyLad
19th June 2004, 10:05 AM
very solid rogjones.

i started the download, lets hope they download well and are compatiblw with my POS ibook.

LackeyLad
21st June 2004, 02:31 PM
Becuase of the requirments for OS X, and becuase the hd on that computer blows... I have decided to simply leave the ibook as is and perhaps someday upgrade it to OS X when i have money to spill out on mac hardware.

Fear PPC linux on old school mac.

Ug
21st June 2004, 10:14 PM
See Byte's (Colin Charles's) stuck PPC thread in this forum.

triplehead
20th July 2004, 08:27 PM
i have old Power PC 7200, any changes installing linux :rolleyes: :confused:

LaKing
15th March 2005, 11:12 AM
stuck PPC thread in this forum.
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18175

... i added a quick howto after my succesfull install