PDA

View Full Version : Good Deals on laptops anyone?

Scoob_E
18th June 2004, 03:36 AM
Has anyone seen any good deals on laptops? Mine just took a crap and I'm in the market for a new one.

Scoob

Ug
18th June 2004, 04:19 AM
I got a Toshiba Satellite P10 834 for £603 instead of £1450. Very good value. ;)

peterskm
15th July 2004, 06:19 AM
If you like AMD, HP sells a Compaq 2100Z laptop for a very good price.

Checkout HP Shopping (http://shopping.hp.com)

ewdi
15th July 2004, 07:00 AM
I'm using ibm thinkpad T40, very reliable, but not so good on value, try dell they have decent value laptop

rkl
15th July 2004, 11:44 AM
Considering where this is posted up, I'm surprised no-one's raised the spectre of how well Linux (FC in particular) actually runs on laptops. Can you even buy a brand-name laptop with no OS or with Linux on it? Can you install Linux on it successfully? Once it's on the laptop, do all the hardware features work in Linux (especially any Winmodem and wireless network card, plus suspend/sleep/hibernate facilities)?

These issues are why I've not bought a laptop up to now - oh, that and you can't seem to get a good combo of weight, screen size, speed and battery life without spending over 2,000 quid!

JonR
15th July 2004, 09:48 PM
If you're in the UK you can buy end of line and 2nd hand laptops pretty cheaply from www.morgancomputers.co.uk - they usually come clean (i.e. no OS) so you can load what you like. I've not found a new laptop for sale anywhere that doesn't come with Windows pre-installed, has anyone else?

cyborg
16th July 2004, 12:21 AM
Try http://www.cheap-laptops-notebooks.com/ I found a few nice ones when looking for mine ;)

peterskm
20th July 2004, 12:49 PM
Considering where this is posted up, I'm surprised no-one's raised the spectre of how well Linux (FC in particular) actually runs on laptops. Can you even buy a brand-name laptop with no OS or with Linux on it? Can you install Linux on it successfully? Once it's on the laptop, do all the hardware features work in Linux (especially any Winmodem and wireless network card, plus suspend/sleep/hibernate facilities)?

These issues are why I've not bought a laptop up to now - oh, that and you can't seem to get a good combo of weight, screen size, speed and battery life without spending over 2,000 quid!

Linux runs great on my Compaq 2100Z, unfortunately, I couldn't spec it without Windows. However, the price was good enough that it didn't matter.

imdeemvp
20th July 2004, 01:51 PM
there is pcclub store by my home in Los Angeles and i've been to their store in many occasions and they alway have a laptop running on RH9 and their price is about $700 with RH9 installed (celeron 2.0ghz that is the only downside to it) :D

you can check to see if they have one around your area: www.pcclub.com