PDA

View Full Version : How to request package be added to distro?

taylor65
17th June 2004, 01:19 AM
I've been using RH distros since 7.3 and slackware before that. During the last 10 years, it seems to me that the biggest issue with getting people to use linux is the difficulty of installing new packages. Now that synaptic is available, it's as easy to install new packages on linux as on windows. However, synaptic isn't on the FC2 distribution, so newbies and many veterans don't know it exists.

So, my question is: How do I request to the Fedora team that they include synaptic as a default package? I looked around fedora.redhat.com and didn't see a place to make a suggestion (I'm assuming it's there but I just missed it).

Thanks,
Tim

ilja
17th June 2004, 02:31 AM
I would make a new bug in bugzilla.redhat.com amybe it is not he correct way, but I allready saw things like that there. But before you post, please search, whether there is allready this suggestion.

bradthemad
17th June 2004, 04:20 AM
Synaptic is included in the Fedora.us Extras (http://www.fedora.us/), which is an official part of the Fedora project. Given that Core already has system-config-packages and up2date, you might find the suggestion that yet another GUI package manager be moved from Extras into Core will meet with disagreement, since the general policy seems to be "one or two different tools for the same job is enough for Core."

If you think it's a worthy cause, though, you could bring it up on fedora-devel (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/). Do check that list's archives, as there has been earlier discussion on better integration of the Extras repo, and possibly making Core smaller.

taylor65
17th June 2004, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I found an entry addressing this exact thing at bugzilla, and I added my vote that synaptic be added. I'll check out fedora-devel also.

P.S., Correct me if I'm wrong, but system-config-packages only adds packages that are on the FC2 distro, and up2date hasn't worked out-of-the-box for the last 2 distros. So I see no reason why synaptic couldn't be added.

micha
17th June 2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by taylor65
up2date hasn't worked out-of-the-box for the last 2 distros. Up2date has always worked for me... But I agree that synaptic/apt should be included in the distribution by default.

Evert
17th June 2004, 06:52 AM
if you apply:
yum install synaptic

synaptic will be installed on your system.

Jman
17th June 2004, 05:30 PM
I wonder if the default package updater in Fedora would ever change to apt with synaptic, if all the repositories were 'aptized'.