PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Tecra M7 S7311

Franklj1122
29th January 2008, 07:14 PM
I have an Intel ProWireless 3945 ABG and a SD card reader, I can not get either of these 2 to work in Fedora 8 on my laptop, please give me any help you can.

Thanks,
Frank Johnson

glennzo
30th January 2008, 02:04 AM
I have an Intel ProWireless 3945 ABG and a SD card reader, I can not get either of these 2 to work in Fedora 8 on my laptop, please give me any help you can.

Thanks,
Frank Johnson
Hi Frank. Click on System > Administration > Services. You will find NetworkManager at the top of the list. Highlight it and click start. Check the box next to NetworkManager so that it starts at boot. Save and exit. You should see an icon in the top panel. Click the icon and you should see wireless access points.

johnnymack
31st January 2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Frank,

On your cardreader, when you insert your SD memory into the slot, what do you do next? when you say you can't get either to work? What are you trying, doing, looking at?

I have found that having a terminal window open, with a tail of the messages file running, is a great help for diagnosing driver/hardware problems.

To do this, first take the SD card out of the reader. Next, open a terminal; make it wide by dragging the resize handles to say 130 chars at least. Now, either su to the root account, or by using sudo, type this command: tail -300f /var/log/messages
It should respond by dumping out the last 300 messages which will include recent as well as ongoing kernel/driver events.

Now, insert your SD memory stick into the reader and observe what is reported in the terminal window where tail is running. If things work as-expected, your memory will be mounted up as a SCSI device, named sdb or sdc or similiar, depending upon what other disk devices you have attached. You know that USB and SD flash memory cards are treated as disk drives. The mount point should have been "/media/whatever"

So, you should have seen that your SD device was mounted as sdb, for example. You should also have seen a file browser popup displaying the contemts of the top-level directory on the SD device "/media/whatever"

If there was no browser popup, the messages file tail should tell you what it found wrong.
Now, if you can cut and paste that bunch of message output here, we can assist you in fixing the problem.

HTH,

jm

Franklj1122
9th February 2008, 05:07 PM
Thank you the sd card reader works now. The only other thing is getting my tablet to work so I can get rid of windows XP.

Thanks again,
Frank

johnnymack
12th February 2008, 08:04 AM
OK Frank,

glad I could help with your SD card problem.

I don't have a tablet anywhere to test your problem, but lets hear what sort of problems you are having with yours? details

jm

ejish
12th February 2008, 07:16 PM
I also have a Toshiba Terca M7 and may be of some assistance eventually.

I just switched from Ubuntu this morning because it randomly crashed repeatedly despite clean reinstalls three separate times. I don't know the source of the issue, but so far Fedora hasn't been a problem.

I know that both Ubuntu and Fedora do not support tablet specific actions from the get go like using the stylus and recognizing different functions. However, I do know that wacom-tools is what we're supposed to install (correctly) in order to achieve tablet functionality.

I'll let you know how to do this Frank when I have the time to figure it out again.

Eric

Franklj1122
15th February 2008, 11:09 PM
I am having trouble getting my SD card reader to work again i use the tail -300 /var/log/messages and this is what I get :Feb 15 16:58:54 localhost kernel: mmc0: card claims to support voltages below the defined range. These will be ignored.
Feb 15 16:58:54 localhost kernel: mmc0: error 4 whilst initialising MMC card

please, help me to solve this problem if you can.

Thanks,
Frank